I had this problem with mine so being the old mechanic that I am I removed the left side hydro unit and split the case and found that the jack shaft was rubbing hard on the side of the case and the longer it rubs the hotter it gets which makes it get tighter I removed about .030 where it was rubbing and it fixed the problem it has performed flawless for the last 5 years
I'm having the same problem with the right side. (Slows down after it warms up) Someone mentioned a "jackshaft" that was rubbing the case. I've got my split, what does it look like?
I've got a copy of the service manual in *.pdf format for the Hydrogear EZT series transaxles. If anyone needs it just drop me an email. With respect to draining/adding oil to the EZTs, they don't have drain/fill plugs like the next step up ZT-2800's have. Here's the EZT per the manual. The drain/fill procedure is very vague:
I just wondered if Cadet Cub ran into anything else while inside his transmission. I'll have to keep looking for ideas. I don't want to give up on it.
Good info Jeff. If it's any consolation, the Hydrogear unitized zero turn transaxles seem to be getting better every year, so they are continuously improving them (hopefully?!?). I believe they are the only ones in the market with this technology, although I did read somewhere where Tufftorq is getting into it as well. I do think these units would fare better if you could rig some type of auxilliary oil cooler on them. I don't like how hot to the touch the ZT-2800's feel on my new Z-Force after only an hour's worth of mowing in 80degF weather.
Cripes! The saga continues! I have the same problem. Purchased 6/15/2004, the left side started developing "weaknesses' in the first month. Now six years later the bugger has given out. Fine if I wanted to mow circles to the left, but my property is square with numerous trees and obstacles and this is just an insurmountable problem!
I was unable to find the manual link posted earlier for the Transmission. Hydro-Gear EZT But my good buddy Google came through at hit number 8.
Tomorrow the wrenches will fly as I begin to extricate the faulting culprit, leaving numerous DNA samples and red "corpulant" stains upon my fallen Yellow Steed!
I had the same problem with an RZT-50. Left side had no power.
The mower was 4 years old and had just over 200 hours on it. It was stored inside, and well maintained.
Dealer said that both right & left transmissions needed replacement. Estimate was close to $2000! Cub Cadet customer service refused to help. The dealer said that "we see a lot of these transmission failures, most people just replace the mower". And then tried to sell me a new Cub ZT at full price!! Not being that dumb, I went to another equipment dealer and got another brand.
Sounds like Cub has a design defect with the RTZ series, at least the ones built a few years back. Maybe they've changed the transmissions that they use...:mad: