Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #1  

Cub Cadet

Tractor
Cub Cadet RZT 50
I have a Cub cadet RZT 50 when it's been running for about 45 min. the hydrostatic transmission stops working, mostly the left side. The oil is full. I was told it could be the pumps, transmissions or needs adjusting. it started when it had about 50 hrs. on it, when it first started doing this I asked the dealers they told me to grease all the fittings.
My husband bought it he has passed away and I need help. I called the only repair shop around they told me it needed new transmissions they charged $65.00 an hr. I told them I called one of the 800#s and it needed to have a pressure test done on the relief valve to see if it was working right they said it would take 2 hrs.
will changing the oil correct the problem? Does anyone know where I can buy a shop manual that shows how to repair this lawn mower? not the owners manual or what the problem is.
Thank You
Rose Mary

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #2  
The RZT uses HydroGear EZT transmissions and are considered sealed for life. But with that being said they do publish a service manual for them and you can find it at this link.
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/gogetpub.cfm?vSvcDir=/manuals/&vPubNum=hg312200.pdf

The service manual for the RZT can be found here.
http://http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/DocGetter?doc=769-01636.pdf

The first place I would look before taking it in to be serviced is the linkage for the relief valve. Thats the small rods in the rear that you can pull out to move the mower without the engine running. A lot of grass and debris collects on top of the transmissions and sometimes it doesn't allow the lever to travel all the way. Also all that debris makes them run very hot which can also effect performance. I just had this same problem with my Z-Force 50 so I pulled the transmissions and changed the oil and so far it seems to have fix it. But I don't know if it was the oil change or just cleaning all the junk off them. The transmission that was acting up had a lot of stuff packed in around the relief lever.

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #4  
If the unit works fine when cold/cool, an oil change (or several oil changes) can help. What's the history of the unit? How many hours on it? Is it used on severe hills? Heavy hills, pulling anything or high ambient temps DRASTICALLY reduces the life of these hydros.

Joel

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission
It has 180 hrs on it but it's done it since its had 50 hrs on it no one seemed to know what it was when it was first doing it. I have 1 hill it's not real steep.
I have used it to pull a roller 3 or 4 x's . and 2 x's with the vac. Are you talking about the engine oil or the hydrolic fluid?

Thanks for the info

Rose Mary

Thank You for the info and for the web site for the manuals I've been trying to find them and this information for over a year.

Rose Mary

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #7  
Are you talking about the engine oil or the hydrolic fluid?

Thanks for the info

Rose Mary

The fluid used in these hydrostatic drives is engine oil. Hydro-Gear doesn't list it on the website anymore, but it's 15w40. Technically they are 'sealed', but you can drain and fill them through the top expansion vent/tanks. Here is your hydrostatic drives: Hydro-Gear ? ZT Series

Joel

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #8  
According to the Hydro Gear service manual the fluid used is 20w50 engine oil.

The manual says that the oil should be one quarter inch from the bottom of the reservoir
When it gets hot and stops turning I checked the oil and it was up to about one and a half inches is this normal or the pumps not working right
Thanks
Rose Mary

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #10  
I looked at the owners manual and it said to check the oil cold and it should be 1/4" above the bottom of the reservoir. The reservoir acts as a expansion tank so the level when hot could vary greatly depending on how hot the transmissions are. I know in your original post you said the mower has 50 hrs on it but how old is it? I ask because the warranty is normally 2 years.