LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #11  
So my local cub dealer had the stearing shaft gear and bushing type nut in for about 10bucks total. Took about 30 minutes like the guy above who gave nice detailed suggestions on taking off steering wheel, etc. Thanks for posting info like this as it does help others out even years later. What would we do without google and forums like this! The dealer told me those 2 parts tend to wear prematurely because of the cheaper metal versus the other gear part it rides against to steer the wheels. He noted there are 2 ubshing type nuts on that other 1/2 circle gear and should be checke too for wear besides the shaft gear. Thanks again. Now I can enjoy my MEM Day weekend.

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #12  
I have a Cub Cadet LT1050 with steering issues looked under saw gear attached to steering column with chips in it. also lots of play in column so I assume that the bushing is bad, so how do you get to the bushing to replace it. I have the new gears but waiting on the bushing.

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #13  
If your referring to the bushing on the steering rod, its easy. Once you losen the nut at the bottom, take the steering wheel off the rod slides up..just slide it up enough so that you can see it thru eng area. If your fingers are not too thick you should be able to push it out of the frame it sets in from the bottom and also putting your fingers int he area from the top side where the rod slides out of. It really was not that bad and I consider myself to have fat fingers. If you referring to the bushings Im told exist on the 1/2 circle saw tooth plate that the steering rod gear turns agains, I dont know as luckilly I caught mine just as the steering got lose the first time. Good luck. Did my rod gear and bushing change in 30min or less...really.

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #14  
Be shure to grease on assembly, check your tie rod ends also, I had 1 fall off 2 hours after installing bushings and gears, another trip for parts.:mad:

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #15  
And check the ball joints by the wheels too..one of those I had to replace already at about 4 yrs ago.

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #16  
My 2006 LT1050 just developed loose steering [and slipping of pinion gear]. I'm not sure if the bushing is worn or if the hole in frame has 'wallowed out', as grandpa used to say. The bushing measures 5/8" and the inside diameter of the hole is just over 3/4" . . .
Is the bushing pressed on the steering shaft and tough to remove?

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #17  
My 2006 LT1050 just developed loose steering [and slipping of pinion gear]. I'm not sure if the bushing is worn or if the hole in frame has 'wallowed out', as grandpa used to say. The bushing measures 5/8" and the inside diameter of the hole is just over 3/4" . . .
Is the bushing pressed on the steering shaft and tough to remove?

As I recall, the bushing just set in the frame and the steering rod just slips thru it when I changed mine last year.

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #18  
Thanks, irklit - I hope you're right. Not looking forward to intense whammering in tight places. Still looking for info on size of bushing and diameter of hole through the frame.

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #19  
Thanks, irklit - I hope you're right. Not looking forward to intense whammering in tight places. Still looking for info on size of bushing and diameter of hole through the frame.

I did not have to remove the entire steering wheel or or rod but had to get it lifted up enough to come out of that spacer to then be able to reinsert the steering rod. I think the spacer just sits in the frame portion..took me about 1/2 hour to replace. I also replaced the gear at the end of the steering rod since it seemed to be worn too. I suspect I will have to replace that spacer every few years though my 2006 tractor this was the first time in 2012 it was done. I seem to have more issues with the ball joints which btw amazon has a seller of them very cheap compared to my local shop so I stocked up on a few of those ball joints at like 1/2 the price. Have fun though it never is.