LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #1  

jsnolan99

Hey guys,

I recently stumbled across this forum and found some useful info on here, but now I'm in a bind...

I have a LT 1050 with 114 hrs. The problem is the steering shaft gear isn't fully touching the sprocket that's attached to the drag links going to the front tires. It seems that the sprocket needs to be loosened and pushed back to help it make full contact, but I can't figure out how to do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeromy

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #2  
Lift up and tilt forward your tractor's seat and get both the tractor's model number (13 digits) and the tractor's serial number from off the identification plate/sticker (usually located on the seat pan underside).

Go to the Cub Cadet website. At the bottom of the opening page, there will be a link named "customer service". Follow that link to where it directs you to manuals and enter both the model number and serial number you recorded. You will be presented with a list of downloadable documents such as parts lists, owners manual and service manuals. download and save all that may be applicable to your machine.

I don't think there is an designed "adjustment" as you describe. Rather, broken/worn parts need to be replaced - exactly which ones you will have to determine. Also note that Cub Cadet recommends replacing both the steering pinion gear and sector as a new matched set.

Also, review the service manual instructions steering sections first to decide if you want to do the changeout yourself or take the tractor in for service.It is a bit complicated.

Good luck

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #3  
I would take pictures and send them to CC web site (include pic of hour meter) and ask them if they will warranty this.

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help
Thanks for the help!!!!

I will let you know what I find out. Although it may be a week or two. I'm leaving for a little vacation about mid week.

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #5  
I saw a similar post somewhere with the same exact issue. It was one of the steering shaft bushings being worn out IIRC. Worn bushing = slop in the upper steering shaft = steering gears no meshy. It should be a pretty easy fix for you.

Joel

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #6  
I saw a similar post somewhere with the same exact issue. It was one of the steering shaft bushings being worn out IIRC. Worn bushing = slop in the upper steering shaft = steering gears no meshy. It should be a pretty easy fix for you.

Joel

No way to grease those bearings huh?

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #7  
I had a SLT1554 that had this exact same issue. It is not a serviceable bearing on that sterring shaft. It is actually a metal bushing that the shaft runs through and eventually wears out. I replaced mine twice in a four year old mower. I got the parts from my local Cub dealer (Wilson's tractors in Conyers Ga) and it may have cost me $8 tops. ITs not that difficult to replace either. You have to take the sterring wheel off, then you have to get under the tractor and remove the bolt the secures the steering gear to the shaft and remove the gear. You then can pull the steering shaft up through the tractor enough that you can slide the old bushing out and slide the new bushing in. The fit was kinda tight because I have large hands but I got it done in about 30 minutes or so. YOu probably will want to replace that gear (which you already removed) at the bottom of the bottom of the shaft because it is probably worn too. I have since upgraded to a GT2550, hopefully I won't have that issue anymore. The 1554 was a great tractor, I just needed a little more tractor!

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help

Joel

Well that was it. Finally got around to ordering the parts and fixing the mower today. It was the bushing at the bottom of the shaft. All in all, not hard to change. The parts were around $8 from cubcadet.com. It's just a shame they use such cheap parts. After looking at the worn out bushing. There is no way that it should have worn out with only 115 hrs on the mower. Just my $.02.

Thanks again to all the help fellas.

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #9  
Make sure you give it a shot of grease every so often. My manuel says every 30 hours.

Michael

/ LT 1050 Steering Issues - Help #10  
Well it seems its my turn on my LT1050 model. Its been 6 yrs since I had it but it seems I finaly wore my bushing out too. So from the replies above it seems doable by someone willing even if I got fat fingers. Hope my local dealer has the parts in as a week or more holdup would have my lawn a bit to cut on catch up. Good thinkg I did not put fertilizer down....I knew there was a reason why I procrastinated. So per instruction above it seems the steering has to come off to life the rod up enoug to slip the bushing on and retighten. I think I will put a new gear on while I have it apart.