Snow Snow Blowers

/ Snow Blowers #1  

micman32

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 221/Cub Cadet XT2
How well do the snow blower attachments work? I was thinking of getting one but not sure if the cost is worth it for something I may use a few times a season.

Michael

/ Snow Blowers #2  
Micman, the Cadet snow blower attachments seem to work pretty well, I've had a 190-303 on my GT2186 for one season and it does a good job. Only time I've had feeding problems was with the snow a couple weeks ago, ground was wet and snow packed into an ice ball on the auger. It'll throw very well, and with the power of the tractor you'll burn belts before you ever lug the engine. I'd suggest looking for a used unit at a dealership, I don't think I'd go for the new price of one. Definately get tire chains as well.

We get enough snow around here that blowing it keeps from building the piles up and then later not having a place to put the snow, as well as not gouging the driveway and lawn up with a tractor or truck mounted blade.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Pat

/ Snow Blowers #3  
Hey Michael,
The blowers work a lot better when we get bigger storms. My Cub blower will throw about 20 feet. A blade will eventually start narrowing down the plowed area, you kinda get that canyon effect.

The downside, more expensive and harder to mount, there's a lot of weight on the front tires. And as Pat says, when we get a really wet snow, they clog.

Good luck.
Curt

/ Snow Blowers #4  
mine works great on an 05 2544

/ Snow Blowers
Thanks guys! I kinda figured wet packing snow would be a pain. I will have to check with my dealer about a used one. A new one certainly costs enough! I doubt if I will get one this season just because the economy sucks now, but it doesn't hurt to look.:)

Michael