1863 Cub Cadet

/ 1863 Cub Cadet #1  

leftybob

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford-1100- New Holland 1720 - JD-345- JD-425- Cub Cadet- 1863
Does anyone have a lead as to where I can get a replacement Kohler CH-18 engine? Or has anyone had one of these apart for overhaul? I have been having starting problems for sometime and I need to do something about it. It acts like it's out of time while cranking but when it finally starts it runs pretty good. Any help would appriiciated.

/ 1863 Cub Cadet #2  
   / 1863 Cub Cadet
Thanks for your reply. I'm in the process of removing the engine from the tractor. I want to check the air gap on the coil pack and also the flywheel key. Don't know yet if I want to pull the heads yet. I ran a compression check and it read 60 on the first hit then went up to 150 on both cylinders. A friend thought I might have some valve trouble. It has hydraulic lifters so there is no adjustment there.

/ 1863 Cub Cadet #4  
Hi Bob,

I believe the earlier Kohler Magnums had a compression relief valve.
I've replaced 2 ignition modules on the Magnum series, not sure how the Magnum differs from the Command with that Magneto module.

Curt

/ 1863 Cub Cadet #5  
I have a NIB Kohler Command 22HP vertical shaft I received as a warranty replacement from Sears but sold the tractor before getting around to installing it. I've never even opened the box.

No idea if your tractor uses the horizontal or vertical configuration, but if this would help, I'd sell it reasonably, as it's no use to me now. (went Kubota diesel...) Was only in the Cub forum because I had a Yanmar a long time ago and saw some of the new Yanmar Cubs at a local dealer and got curious. Let me know, I'm Dave

/ 1863 Cub Cadet #6  
Does anyone have a lead as to where I can get a replacement Kohler CH-18 engine? Or has anyone had one of these apart for overhaul? I have been having starting problems for sometime and I need to do something about it. It acts like it's out of time while cranking but when it finally starts it runs pretty good. Any help would appriiciated.

Small Engine Warehouse for a replacement. 800-321-6725 Have your serial and model # off the Engine and they can duplicated it . I plan on doing that to my 1863. Have put about 200 hrs on mine with a broken ring and getting to the point of having to pull the plugs and cleaning them to get at least 30 min more use out of it!LOL Bought it new and it has 2700 hrs on it. Poneykeg said that..

/ 1863 Cub Cadet
I called the Tulsa Engine Warehouse and they got me info on the right model I needed to replace my old engine. They quoted me a price of $1437 plus shipping. I asked where do you ship from? Since I live near ST. Louis they said there is a supplyer in Arnold MO. I know right where that is and I have a friend that works there. So I got a exact replacement engine for $1147 tax and all. It was still a chore installing it getting the driveshaft in place but it's up and running now. All that was missing fron the engine was the muffler. The Cadet dealer wanted $225 for a new muffler so I put my old one back on whick was in good shape. The warehouse had a new muffler for $80 that fit the engine but not the tractor and it was too much modifying to make it fit. I may someday repair the old engine or sell it as is. It did run it was just getting too hard to start.