1963 "Original" Cub Cadet

/ 1963 "Original" Cub Cadet #1  

6011Artist

Gold Member
Tractor
1957 Ferguson 35, 1977? Yanmar 2200, 1963 Cub Cadet Original
I have a '63 Original that the governor does not work on. It never has since I bought it. It cranks and runs good but no governor advance when you start uphill or get in a heavier pull. Can anyone point me in the right direction to rebuild the governor and get it to working correctly? I am pretty mechanically inclined but have no knowledge or experience with this. All info is appreciated.

/ 1963 "Original" Cub Cadet
More info:

It has a 7 HP Kohler horizontal shaft engine in case someone that is familiar with the Kohler but not the Cub Cadet application. The throttle cable runs to the governor where it goes into the side of the engine and the lever has a rod linkage that connects carb to governor arm.

/ 1963 "Original" Cub Cadet #3  
   / 1963 "Original" Cub Cadet #5  
It has been a long time since I set the governer on my 123. If I remember correctly the governer is a gear driven centrifugal weight off the crank inside the crankcase. I thought it was broken, but when I fixed the stuck valve (it had been setting for quit some time) I found that it was just not adjusted correctly. There was no adjustment inside the engine just on the outside. There is a shaft that sticks out that an arm is attached to. I believe it had a straight blade slot cut into the end of the shaft. The arm has a clamping bolt and nut and I believe it had slipped on the shaft. I don't remember the exact way to set it, but I am pretty sure I was able to just fiddle with it and get to work. You can kinda tell which way the shaft should rotate to pull the springs and stuff back from the throttle. I am not sure if there is a way to tell if the centrifugal weight and gear mechanism is okay without pulling the engine out.

Good Luck, Hope this helps

/ 1963 "Original" Cub Cadet #6  
I think you can determine if the governor is working by just looking at the shaft and raising the throttle. I'll bet more times than not, it's an adjustment issue.

The manual is availalable online, I'd bet the procedure to adjust is in there.

Good Luck,
Curt