best old Cub to look for

/ best old Cub to look for #1  

Undercover

Silver Member
i have been looking for a older cub cadet gt for a couple years now and have kinda put it off alittle bit (economy)But that said it don't hurt to look.
Besides the obvious oil leaks ect.What models have held up over time and are easier to fix for less$$$$$$.I would like to find a Cub IH but the 80's or 90's would be ok too.Thanks

-----CUB STUFF-----
04 GT3235 60" deck
07 GT1554
New SWE 930 snow thrower
08 CC500
08 CC4175
18cu.ft.steel cart

/ best old Cub to look for #2  
From what I've read, the X82 series are highly regarded. Watch out for the 2 cylinder series I kohler engines, these use splash lubrication opposed to pressurized so when running on a grade its possible to starve the upper cylinder of oil. Also depends on what you want to do with it. For mowing, a hydro trans may be the way to go, and gear drive for field work. I've read the quiet line series 1000, 1200, 1400 etc. have issue with motor mounts going, which affects the drive line so watch for that. You'll get varying opinions on which trans is more reliable, so take it that both are very good and go with what suits you. I've got a 109, (hydro) circa 1973. 10 HP runs strong, and these engines are very rebuildable so even if blowing smoke, you can get parts and get another 20 years of hard use out of them. Seems I'm seeing a lot more for sale in my area so watch and be ready to jump on one you like, cause if you don't it will be gone. Good luck.

/ best old Cub to look for #3  
I think you'd want to look at IHRegistry.com. There is also a book out by Ken Updike that gives the general history of the IH Cub Cadet product lineup.

Because owner abuse and maintenance factor so heavily in whether you are getting a good used machine, I think you have to look at each Cub as an individual case. As the prior poster noted, the iso mounts on the 1250-1450-1650 series are known trouble spots as are the muffler boxes on those units. The steering will probably be loose on all Cubs and need attention.

I guess the other factor is what you intend to use it for. If you just need something to cut grass, then you may not care if the tractor has a hydraulic lift and hitch adaptor. If you are going to use a rear blade, tiller or plow, you'd want the lift and adaptor.

I prefer the Cubs made before they started putting side panels, iso mounts, etc on them, but then there are those who prefer the even later models just before IH Cub was sold out in the early 1980's. I think some of the later models even had Kubota diesels on them and are highly prized if you can find one in your price range. There are conversion kits to put new engines on some of the Cubs, but you'd really have to like the tractor to spend that kind of money.

/ best old Cub to look for #4  
Undercover it doesn't say where you are from, but if you're close to Indiana, I have a 109 that would make a good project tractor. I'd sell it cheap.

As for the KT17 Series I engines, they are pressure lubed, but the rod journals weren't. When you got on a hill, the journals came out of the oil and fried. The series II engines added a oil port to the rod journals to remedy the problem.

AJ

/ best old Cub to look for #5  
It's a topic very subject to opinion on which old Cub is the best or cheapest or easiest to fix, etc. It really depends on what you like or think you might like. Every model had it's ups and downs. I know guys (and gals) who are only in to the Cub Cadet original models, all the way to those who only like the last IH '82' models- and then those who like them all. A lot of the early MTD Cub GT's were just carryover '82' models, and they remained about the same design until the early 1990's, so they are game to a lot of people too. Remember MTD has successfully carried the Cub Cadet name now longer than IH did.

I like all the wide frame models. My favorites are the IH built 1250, 1450, 1650, then the 682, 782 and 982 hydros. They have their quirks such as the mentioned engine mount wear on the single cylinder models and the infamous Kohler KT17 S1 on the 682/782, but overall they are very robust little tractors, that when in good shape or put back in good shape are amazing machines. You just need to decide which one you want to run with and go for it- you really can't go wrong with any of the Cub Cadet GT's.

-Fordlords-

/ best old Cub to look for
I wouldn't use this older Cub all that much.If it came with a deck and was in good shape i would mow a little with it just for fun and the same goes for if it had a blade.I would mostly only use it to pull a tow sprayer and that would be just so i could have a job for the tractor.I have two newer CC that would do the mowing.I just want it to maybe restore one day. if i find aGT in great shape i would work it harder.Thanks
One more thing i heard the 149 is a good one to get?

/ best old Cub to look for #7  
I think some like the 149 series because it was the most refined wide frame series before they started making the 1250-1450-1650. The 12 and 14 motors are basically the same engine except for the bore. So folks like the parts interchange, too. The 16 hp is a different critter.

/ best old Cub to look for #8  
I'm partial to the Super Garden Tractors. Those would be the 982, 1872, 2072, 1882, 2082 and a few others.

They have a longer wheelbase/frame, bigger tires and as a result more seat and legspace. I currently have 2 1872's they are around a 1990 vintage, use the Kohler Magnum 18HP twin. A pretty reliable, but not terribly fuel efficient engine. Mine has the 60 deck and the 45" snowblower.

Curt

Attachments

• P6290032.JPG
    P6290032.JPG
    973.2 KB · Views: 13,261
   / best old Cub to look for #9  
My favorites, and I have owned most series other than whats called a Quiet Line model, are the x82 series and the mentioned 149. The 149 was about the best of the models before they started putting side panels and quieter exhausts on them. It had lights, hyd lift and hydrostatic transmission as standard equipment. It can have the rear implment lift for rear blades, moldboard plows, rototillers ect. The Quiet Lines, ie 1250/11450/1650 ect had side panels and the motor was mounted on rubber ISO mounts to help with vibration, commonly these mounts are shot and need replaced, if not replaced the excessive vibration tears up the drive shaft joints ect. When IH went to the x82 series, the frame was modified to handle the opposed twin cylinder engines and they were ridged mounted on the frame, no iso mounts. The 482 and 582 special have a peerless transmission and belt drive, not a true cub cadet to many, the 582 was a gear drive, IH cub 3spd rear end, the 682 was hydrostat drive but manual lift, 782 is a 149 on roids, Kohler KT17 twin, hyd lift and hydrostatic trans, The 982 was the first super garden tractor, longer frame, bigger tires and a Onan 19.9hp twin. During the years of the red cubs, IH sold cub to CCC or Cub Cadet Corp, which was a division of MTD. The last 2 years of the red models, the Diesel powered 782d and yellow/white version 882 came about. They are the best of the x82 series with a very fuel effectient Kubota 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel engine, hydrostatic transmission, duel hyd lift ablites with front ports for the power angle snow blade and a rear catagory 0 3pt hitch option. This is what I have. The red cubs ended, but the basic x82 design stayed around for many years but with 4 digit numbers like 1811, 1512 diesel ect. Definaltly check out the ihregistry.com website, many cubs for sale on there as well. Cheers Mike

/ best old Cub to look for #10  
I have to agree with botamike and Ohioguy. For sheer versatility and durability, I would recommend a super garden tractor, with a diesel. I've been inside a super's tranny, it's built to last. The kubota diesel is a strong little beast that you can always get parts for. It's already been mentioned how you can have hydraulic ports in the front, a rear PTO and 3-pt, and more.
My first Cub was a 1772 with the diesel. An absolute beast that I never had a problem with. I traded up for a 1782, which I liked better because of the look, and the fender flares.....I can't remember how many times cussing because of getting mudded up by spinning tires on the 1772. I had it outfitted with the 3-pt, rear PTO, front hydraulics, and a kwik-way loader. It performed way above it's expected performance, as I had a bottom plow, disc harrow, tiller, front blade, etc. I've since owned a GT 3200, and I feel the SGT's were superior machines. I ended up selling the machine, only to step up to a Cub compact with 4wd, but often wonder if I should have kept my 1782....I loved it! Just saw a 1772 on Ebay with a few attachments.... good luck in your quest!