Adjusting reverse lever throw

/ Adjusting reverse lever throw #1  

diesel_nut

Gold Member
Tractor
~'88 1872(sold); '08 GT2554
Very easy fix. See pics below.

Pic #1 shows the adjustment hold bolts. They are located directly under the floorboard under reverse lever. Loosen both bolts with a 3/8" socket. Reverse lever can now easily be pushed upward. Set at roughly 2-3/4 inches above metal on floorboard(measured from floorboard to top of lever). Any higher and the reverse lever rod will hit the bottom of the floorboard(Pic #2) when the forward pedal is depressed. Re-tighten bolts.
You can adjust height of reverse lever to where you get roughly full throw out of both forward and reverse levers.
If you want more you can(if you wish) bend the floorboard upward and/or grind a notch in reverse lever rod. Of course you risk paint cracks on floorboard and subsequent rust. Notching lever rod might be better because you can then paint over the rod.

Easy fix.

Note: Before adjustment my reverse lever was only 2" above floorboard.

Pic #1: (After adjustment. You can see where they were originally)
CubCadetreverseleveradjustmentholdb.jpg

Pic #2: Reverse lever rod hitting floorboard with forward pedal fully depressed
CubCadetreverseleverrod.jpg

Last edited:
   / Adjusting reverse lever throw #2  
I have never tried that but all the posts I have read said what you gain in reverse you lose in forward. That's why I'm going to put an extension on the reverse pedal. Plus I'm lazy and that is the easiest solution.:D

/ Adjusting reverse lever throw #3  
Ill give it a shot this weekend! Been pretty cold around here and have not messed with the tractor for a week or so now. Its finally warming up to the low 50's. Thanks for the info and pics!!!

Dan

/ Adjusting reverse lever throw
Tried it out today. Didn't seem to lose any forward speed and the reverse pedal is much easier to use now.

/ Adjusting reverse lever throw #5  
Good work DN!! Great pics too! I'll have to try this on mine as well. On a side note, it's a good plan to check tightness of everything you can get at under there from time to time. After about a year of service I found one major nut/bolt ready to fall off on my 2544. It was one of the 4 'cradle' bolts (4 lack of a better term) that holds the whole pedal linkage assy to the frame. Another was real loose. Loosing them will cause quite the jamb.

Joel

/ Adjusting reverse lever throw #6  
Tried it out today. Didn't seem to lose any forward speed and the reverse pedal is much easier to use now.

That good to know. Next time I sharpen the blades I will check it out.

/ Adjusting reverse lever throw #7  
Very easy fix. See pics below.

Pic #1 shows the adjustment hold bolts. They are located directly under the floorboard under reverse lever. Loosen both bolts with a 3/8" socket. Reverse lever can now easily be pushed upward. Set at roughly 2-3/4 inches above metal on floorboard(measured from floorboard to top of lever). Any higher and the reverse lever rod will hit the bottom of the floorboard(Pic #2) when the forward pedal is depressed. Re-tighten bolts.
You can adjust height of reverse lever to where you get roughly full throw out of both forward and reverse levers.
If you want more you can(if you wish) bend the floorboard upward and/or grind a notch in reverse lever rod. Of course you risk paint cracks on floorboard and subsequent rust. Notching lever rod might be better because you can then paint over the rod.

Easy fix.

Note: Before adjustment my reverse lever was only 2" above floorboard.

Pic #1: (After adjustment. You can see where they were originally)
CubCadetreverseleveradjustmentholdb.jpg

Pic #2: Reverse lever rod hitting floorboard with forward pedal fully depressed
CubCadetreverseleverrod.jpg

Maybe I'm a little slow today, but where are the pictures?

Bob B.

They are in the first post and in your quoted post.

Might have to check your(My Home) and see if there is an option to allow pictures to show.

Do this;
My Home
-Edit options
-Under heading "Thread Display Options"
-check box "Show Images"

/ Adjusting reverse lever throw #9  
They are in the first post and in your quoted post.

Might have to check your(My Home) and see if there is an option to allow pictures to show.

Do this;
My Home
-Edit options
-Under heading "Thread Display Options"
-check box "Show Images"
That option was already set. It was a browser problem. I'm running Netscape 8.1 using the Firefox engine. I clicked it to use the I.E. engine and the images now show OK.

Thanks, Bob B.

Try Google Chrome!