Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner #1  

mc25a

The 2518 is my first MTD Cub Cadet.

And my thoughts on Cub Cadet for what it's worth. I've been a fan since my 1200 (which I bought due to my interest in International Scouts) so I thought I would try a new one. I've looked around a lot and around here Deere is king.

I grew up on a farm so we don't call lawn mowers "tractors" and that's basically all I want, something to reliably mow the grass. It's an appliance, and I have a hard time spending over $5000 on an appliance. I'm a big quality nut, so consider that with my comments to follow.

I was looking at a "garden tractor" minimum due to the basic shoddiness across the line of "lawn tractors". The same basic design regardless of manufacturer, vertical shaft engine sitting on fairly thin steel unibody type frame, to pulley arrangement below driving the transmission and deck. Plastic and pot metal parts throughout particularly in the steering gear. Horsepower is the obvious selling point 25+ when I would prefer a smaller better quality engine. Although probably the least potential problem area, the pressed on drive wheels (no lugs, assuming a splined shaft) are common and just look cheap.

I started looking at the cub cadet 2500 series. The lowest price by far of the available "garden tractors". One paper it looks great. Shaft drive, a horizontal shaft engine, power to the rear to the transmission and to the front to the deck, just like my old 1200. It's easy to see that this is balance, and balance is better for an engine. Foot hydro is great, the reverse pedal is awful. I didn't like the new hood arrangement and reports of melting just shows a lack of testing, effort, desire to produce something better, or maybe all three.

My 2518 still has the steel hood which I like better but it is very thin and apparently not very well painted. The bumper and is also very thin, particularly for a part supposing to be a bumper. On the other end the hitch area, though thicker and more substantial, still seems a little on the light side. The reverse hydro pedal is very cheap in appearance and in an awkward position. I see that this is upgraded on the 3000 series.

When compared to a John Deere the Deere just seems more polished and of higher build standard. Kind of like the feeling I got from my first Honda compared to my previous Chevrolet. Unlike the Honda the Deere does sell at a substantial premium to it's competitors.

I think Cub Cadet goes about 3/4 of the way to producing a really nice machine. They push the shaft drive thing a little much I think. The groundwork is there. The design is sound and just needs a little polishing. Why not put a little thicker steel hear and there? Do away with the cheap looking rear end cover and mount a hitch point to the axle housing itself.

Even if the price goes up a little they would gain a lot of market share. Even a customer new to the market can see the little differences in fit and finish. In fact these are probably the most apparent differences. Lack of attention to the little stuff makes you wonder about attention to the bigger stuff.

I would not spend $4000 for a new 2500 series mower. But I nearly spent $5000 on a Deere x500. That is until I found my $2000 2518.

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner #2  
Personally I think the 2500 Series is the best buy out there. But I don't disagree with any of the other things you said.

And I paid a lot less than $4,000 for mine ;)

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner #3  
I think all the new mowers have been cheapened up. One of the big reasons I went with Cub Cadet is the Shaft Drive. Of course, cost was a major factor and I thought CC had everything I wanted for far less than a comparable John Deere.
I wish they made these tractors like they did 20 years ago. The quality was far better .

Michael

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner #4  
Are the Cub Cadets made in China?

Being Chinese is my biggest stumbling block to buying one. I would much rather buy a used US made mower.

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner #5  
No. The Cub Cadets are made 25 miles down the road from me.................from mostly Chinese parts :)
But a good American-made engine.

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner #6  
I bought mine mostly for the shaft drive too, with the plans to use it for multi-purpose mower and tractor. If I were looking for grass mowing only, with maybe minor things like tow behind trailers etc, I would seriously consider the zero turn tractor. I helped my mother-in-law pic one out and that baby handles like crazy! I believe it was in the $2500 range for a 50"

AFA the rev pedal goes, I've never had any reason to complain, but it's my first hydro.

On the bumper, the CC tube bumper you have to buy separately is pretty nice and very heavy duty. Or you can just fab your own like I did. :)

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner #7  
I think Cub Cadet goes about 3/4 of the way to producing a really nice machine. They push the shaft drive thing a little much I think. The groundwork is there. The design is sound and just needs a little polishing..

Very true. The Hydrogear BDU series hydrostat on them are awesome as is the 6qt oil capacity and huge spin on filter. The direct drive, no u-joint shaft is awesome, the Chinese powdered metal gearing within the Chinese cast iron diff housing? Not so much in my humble opinion. But yes.. at the end of the day, it's a great machine for your money if you've got rough terrain, hills, pushing or pulling to do.

Joel

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner
On the bumper, the CC tube bumper you have to buy separately is pretty nice and very heavy duty. Or you can just fab your own like I did. :)

I saw yours a couple of days ago. That looks really nice. You should sell those on Ebay. Looks like a factory option.

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner

I saw yours a couple of days ago. That looks really nice. You should sell those on Ebay. Looks like a factory option.

/ Thoughts on (MTD) Cub Cadet from a new owner #10  
My 2554 came with the bumper. What level do they come stock on?