Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862

/ Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862 #1  

CJ-8_Jim

Tractor
a used 2004 GT 3235 - had to swap in a new short block
Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862 or 2135

Hi,
I'll be moving into a 1.3 acre lot and house with a basement walk out (so part of the lawn has a grade) and was wondering if a CC 1862 or 2135 will handle that?

I keep reading that the older entry level tractors are so much better than the new entry level tractors, so I'm asking whether an older tractor is appropriate for this lawn cutting job.

What is a reasonable price and reasonable hours?

Also, would this CC 1862 or a 2135 be able to push snow (with a blade) or be suitable for a 2-stage snow blower?

Are 2-stage snow blowers sold new for this tractor? Or do I need to find a used one.

Thanks for your help. The only tractor grass cutting I ever did was as a kid on my Grandpa's 1946 Farmall Cub.

Jim

EDIT: Added 2135 to the post... one of those is for sale too.

Last edited:
   / Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862 #2  
Well first I don't think I would be calling a 1862 a "Entry Level" tractor. A 1862 is a true Garden tractor. I'm sure cub was making cheaper Lawn tractors at the time. The nice thing about the 1862 is that is has power steering. I know it was replaced by the 1864 and the only major differences was the 62 had a magnum-18 engine and the 64 had a 18hp command v-twin. The 1862 will do anything you want it to do. It will mow your 1.3 acres with ease. I can run a 2 stage snow blower also. You will have to check, but it should be either a 450 or a 451 blower. The difference is the gearing. Cub changed the diameter of the front pto pulley at one time, so you need the blower to match the pto pulley. I'm not sure what year they changed the pulley though. The blowers for this machine are not sold new anymore, so you would have to find a used one. The mag18 engines are usually good for around 1500 hrs before they need rebuilding. Some last longer. Some need it done earlier. As for price, I'd say you are looking at around $1500 - $2000 for a really nice one.

If you have anymore question, feel free to ask.

AJ

/ Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862
THanks for the reply. I got the sense this was a garden tractor and not an entry level lawn tractor.

I'm thinking that a used garden tractor would be better than a new lawn tractor.

The engine has 940 hours and the seller is asking $895.

/ Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862 #4  
That's a very good price. I would jump on it. The engine should be good for a few hundred more hours and when it does need rebuilding, you're still going to have less than $1500 invested in it. And in my opinion, it should be a much better machine than what you can get for the same money if you bought new.

AJ

/ Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862 #5  
^yup.

Long ago we used a snow blower on a cub but found plowing to be way faster. Thing is you need room to push the snow back and away.

Over the season the banks become concrete like. Of course if you have a neighbor with a FEL snow banks are no problem.

The grounds looked great when we blew the snow here...it just took too long.

/ Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862 #6  
I second the 1862. Completely different machine than the 2135. The 2135 is the smallest 2000 series, with the onan engines, that had some issues. Especially pushing a blade or blower, you're much better off with the true garden tractor. And that is a very good price. Good luck!

/ Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862 #7  
If the 1862 runs anything like my 1882, then you will absolutely love the thing! It definitely feels quite a bit more substantial and well built than my little 5 yr old 1018.

/ Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862 #8  
oops, think I goofed....the 2145 has the onan, I believe the 2135 has the single cylinder kohler.

/ Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862
Thanks guys for the input... I appreciate it.

Besides the other options of the plentiful used Craftsmans, etc. out there, I found this also last night:

1 1/2 year old Cub Cadet LT 1046 (46 inch deck Triple blade) with bagger, hydro drive,23 HP Kohler, LOW Hours 65hrs. $1500

Ignoring the fact that this comes with a bagger, is the 940 hr CC 1862 at $895 still a wiser choice over this nearly new LT1046 at $1500? Again, I'm buying a 1.3 acre lot with a basement walkout (i.e., part of the lot is sloped).

I really appreciate all of your patience and insight,
Jim

/ Newbie needs purchasing advice on Cub Cadet 1862 #10  
The 1046 is a lawn tractor, not in the same league as the 1862. It's only advantage I can see is that it has a tighter turning radius. Other than that, the 1862 wins every category over the 1046.