2009 Cub Cadet

/ 2009 Cub Cadet #1  

Joe1950

Please provide insight to these comments - thank you, I just purchased my first new Cub 2544 May 2009, during my first time cutting grass it scalped and I lowered the deck wheels one notch, it did not scalp as much but it still does somewhat during my second cutting. I used the 4.5 setting the first time and 5 the second time. Do you think I need to drop the deck wheels again? I found a leak at the bottom of the transmission near the bolts, (oil on floor) after cleaning it and waiting several days the leak is still there, the Dealer is a very caring person and says that he could take it into the shop and fix it, what do you think? Also the seat was bent and marked, evidently they stacked one on top during shipping, do you think this is the start of problems and I should request a replacement or let the dealer replace the seat and fix the leak. I am pretty upset, since it is new and my first unit. Joe

/ 2009 Cub Cadet #2  
Unless the 2009 models are different, cut position #1 is the lowest and #5 would near the highest... if you're scalping on #4 either your ground is to rugged for this type of mower or your blades/deck may be bent... the oil leak isn't a major problem, but it's surprising for it to occur after the first time out... although they do assemble 100 of these an hour and a nicked case half or torn gasket could slip by unnoticed, even a bolt that didn't get tightened probably happens now and then.

/ 2009 Cub Cadet #3  
Just another reason to be glad you bought it from a dealer.Just imagine The pimply face kid from the big-box store trying to tell you that everything is OK with bad logic.I'm finding that the dealer that I have been purchasing parts from is very helpful explaining how my old Cub works.You can't put a price on that in my book.

/ 2009 Cub Cadet #4  
^ditto to what Frosty says.

Boy scalping at #4 wish I had that problem. For me it was the grass was too high after cutting on #2.

/ 2009 Cub Cadet
Thank you, I do not see any obvious dents in the deck, although I just purchased it and is was just delivered, it is a 2008 manufactured in late 08. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on adding a gas gauge or something to tell you how much gas is remaining without stopping and looking, and even then it is hard to tell. Thanks, Joe

/ 2009 Cub Cadet #6  
You would think Cub Cadet would have a gas gage in the fuel cap or something, The gas tanks are pretty small for that size engine. If anyone knows of one let me know.

/ 2009 Cub Cadet #7  
Joe after running out of gas a half doz times I won't start the tractor up now without topping it off. What a gas guzzler and the thing is...you uncap it see the gas and think ... 'yeah I have enough gas to go there.' :mad:

Now I keep a dedicated 5ga can out back under the lean to with the GT.

/ 2009 Cub Cadet #8  
My only real complaint about the 2542 is gas consumption. The tractor will run for a few hours on a full tank. My Mahindra 2015 by comparison can run all day long, mowing or digging with a full tank of diesel and may even have a little left in the tank the next morning.

/ 2009 Cub Cadet #9  
Yep diesel you get better milage but you pay mighty more on the get-go for the tractor. I found that I can mow my lawn easily in about 2 hours where before with my last tractor it took me over 5 hours. Gas milage is not a problem!!! No complaints here... fill it up before ya start and still have gas left over when done...
I have a cut that is diesel and gets great milage but I dont use it for mowing

/ 2009 Cub Cadet #10  
I have a 2542 and have to use the lowest (1) setting. The biggest problem with the deck is it is too rigidly mounted. Tends to scalp if there is a slight rise in the ground. I need to see where I can loosen things up so it truly floats.