Cub Cadet 5000 Series

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series #1  

dislal

Does anyone have any info on Cub Cadet tractor it is 23 hp 5000 series? It is a 2004. I am looking into buying it and would like some input, it has 580 hours on it.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series #3  
I've owned a few 5234's since 2004 when they first came out and never had a problem. There were some issues with some of the tractors, others had no problems. I plowed a lot of snow this past winter with my 2007 and it performed flawlessly. Check the tractor out real well, take your time on the test drive, check all fluids, check the differential lock, 4wd, PTO's, etc. Check the tranny for a new seal.
I JUST listed my 2004 5234 with 41 hours on it, it runs like a top, been sitting in my garage for a year.
A big concern (to me) is if it has a loader.....I consider the 5000 series a light duty sub-compact.....(tractor only weighs 1300 lbs) so if you plan on doing a lot of heavy loader work, be careful. Having said that, my first 5234 had a loader, and I used it quite a bit with no problems. Now I use 2 bigger Cubs for loader work and use the 5234 for mowing/blowing/blading. I'd try it out before I ruled it out! Good luck!

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series #4  
I think Scout's thoughts are very accurate. I also owned a 5234 and had a few issues with it but nothing I'd consider major. If you search this site you'll find a lot of threads on the 5000 series. Just for your reference I saw a 5234DE w/ Loader and 60" mid mount deck listed in the Wisconsin State Farmer paper for $6,500. If I remember correctly the hours were around 200...I was tempted but had no need for it. Just follow Scout's advice and you'll be fine. Good luck.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series #5  
Just for your reference I saw a 5234DE w/ Loader and 60" mid mount deck listed in the Wisconsin State Farmer paper for $6,500. If I remember correctly the hours were around 200...I was tempted but had no need for it.

That's a steal.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series #6  
I thought it was a steal also. I told a buddy about it but when he called he was told it had just been taken to auction. He was a little disappointed.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series #7  
I have a 5252e that I bought in spring 2004. I have worked the devil out of it, cutting grass, using a front end loader etc and I haven't had any major problems. It is starting to show its age and hours (500+) but it still runs strong and starts even on the coldest winter day. It is definitely more cheaply built than some green machines but I got the tractor, 60" deck and a loader for $9800. The loader is one of the most handy tools to have for digging, spreading, lifting, plowing whatever.