A garage partner for my 2544!

/ A garage partner for my 2544! #1  

JTKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
I just picked up a Case 220 to accompany my 2544. She's a 1979 model year per the ID tag. I found it on Craigslist not far from my house being sold by it's original owner. It's all original, garage kept, unopened Kohler 10hp K241 and no touch ups or patches of any kind. It lights right off, idles smooth as butter and ramps right to life at max governed speed. The fab'd 40" deck looks really good, leading edges appear to be bent in slightly is about it. Anyway... I'm super excited. I've been an outdoor power equipment enthusiast for as long as I can remember and have always marveled at the awesomeness of Case/Ingersoll machines. I may have overpaid a bit at $500, but the owner was great and definitely is the kind of guy to keep things up. His yard was probably a half an acre, smooth, flat and neat as a pin. This 220 couldn't have had a hard life at all. He wouldn't budge on price. I know he started the add at $900 weeks ago, then $700...when it got down to $500 I had to go look. Oh where to begin..where to begin... Here's the Craigslist photos:
3kc3mc3obZZZZZZZZZ96e8afd02aac4eb19.jpg

3md3p43l9ZZZZZZZZZ96e9b377c3c39cc15.jpg

Joel

/ A garage partner for my 2544! #2  
Looks like a little tank! I don't think 500 bucks is a bad price at all. Enjoy!

/ A garage partner for my 2544! #4  
You done good, JT... :)

/ A garage partner for my 2544! #5  
I have its big brother a "446" that I have used only for snow blowing for the past 6 years or so... it has a 16hp onan engine. very dependable tractor!
My dad has the same as what you have just purchased with the same engine. He has had his many more years than I and no problems. I hink you will like your new purchase.

dan

/ A garage partner for my 2544!
Thanks guys. I finally got a chance to mess around with it today. I've got to do something about raising and adjusting the seat rearward. I dropped the deck and simple greened 30yrs of dirt/grass encrusted grease from under the hood and on some of the chassis (needs lots more). A few things need adjusting yet like the brake, neutral safety switch and hi/low range selector to name a few. It's also got a rumbly bearing in the deck and a split at the front tip of the deck. I don't think I'd want to use her long term for lawn mowing. Gawd is it uncomfortable! She's as ergonomic as a 1920's farm tractor. My Cub 2544 is like a CADILLAC to operate in comparison. It's what I bought it for; A project.

Joel

/ A garage partner for my 2544! #7  
That steering wheel looks very high compared with the seat.

Reminds me of a Cub 1872 in some respects.

/ A garage partner for my 2544!
Yep it sure is. It's an aftermarket seat on there that's set way to close and low. I'm considering getting a set of older JD seat springs (the U-shaped deals) to raise the seat up, give it some suspension and hopefully rearward adjustability. Current setup makes it even tough to get on the beast w/ the tiny footboards and such. She ain't cozy at all.

Joel

/ A garage partner for my 2544! #9  
Looks great Joel! Looks like you will get have lots of fun tinkering! I bet that machine is as solid as it gets!

Have Fun!

Michael

/ A garage partner for my 2544! #10  
Nice tractor JT. I don't think you overpaid at all. Case/Ingersoll tractors are expensive brand new and from what I've seen really seem to hold their value. Good buy!:)