Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default battery not charging

Hi,
    I have a 1650 cub cadet that will not charge the battery. Does anyone know what causes this?

Default Re: battery not charging

Here are a couple of pages from the Kohler service manual on the charging system. I hope it helps.

2006 Cub Cadet Z-Force50
    Agco Allis 1616H
    1974 SearsGT18 with 3 point,48"deck,Haban sickle mower and front dozer blade

2000 Bobcat 453F with steel tracks
    1954 Ford860 with front end loader, 5' brushhog
    1952 Allis Chalmers CA with Woods L59 mower
    1947 Case SC
    1998 Honda ACTY 4WD mini truck
    And too many other small engine tools to list

Platinum Member

Just follow the troubleshooting chart that was uploaded and it should lead you to the problem The most likely and easiest to change is the regulator. If you have 28 volts AC or greater going in and it's not charging the battery 13.5 - 14.5 volts the regulator is probably bad. I had to replace one on my 1450.

Bob B.

Elite Member

Sometimes the alternator coil itself or the wires go bad. Those wires are easily kinked, too. No fun at all because you have to pull the engine to replace it.

While you're looking at this, check your engine ISO mounts, too, cuz they are a routine failure point.

Tractor
    cub cadet

I have an older model cub cadet. It runs great till I engage the clutch for the blades, Then the alternator light comes on and stays on till The clutch is disengaged. Where is the regulator located and could this be the problem? model number is 144 653 100

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 870

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/s...0-A/0028000021 is what you might find if you searched at the cubcadet.com web site.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC

How old is the battery? I had the same problem , battery was no good , dead cell or cells , just a thought .

Tractor
    International 2500a with Loader

Thats what i was thinking,you only get 2-3 years before they have replace them.
    ::welcome :::RON
    never stop learning.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deerseeker001 View Post
    Thats what i was thinking,you only get 2-3 years before they have replace them.
    I have one that I'm going to get bronzed when it dies. 2004 Cub 3235 with the original sealed battery. I just started putting a battery tender on it over the winter the last couple years. Started right up a couple weeks ago for the first mowing this season.

Bob B.

I just fixed the same problem on my cub 1250. In my case it was the stator located under the flywheel. You can download the service manual online. It has the test procedure clearly explained. If you are not getting 20+ ac volts from the left and right terminals of the regulator with the engine running then you most likely have bad wires or stator. I paid around $35 for a new stator on eBay and installed it myself. If you have another kohler engine swap regulators to test. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast