Cub Cadet 2160 Deck Belt

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Deck Belt #1  

tracey5846

I just bought a 2160 with a 16 hp Kohler v twin engine. I paid $125. The body is a little rough. Tires are in okay condition. The problem is the blade belt popped off and I am not sure how to reinstall it. If I had a diagram it would help. The tensioner pulley seems a little stiff. I am not sure if this is the way it should be. Pushing it in takes a lot of effort and then it drags back into place with some pulling. Also I am concerned about a couple of comments I read about the AG? versus hydrostatic transmission. How should this tractor be driven in the highest gear and adjusting speed by the pedal or is there a better way? I like the tight turning radius compared to my craftsman and the cast iron front end is great. Any comments from those of you with experience or knowledge about this tractor would be appreciated. Did I get a "good deal" or did I get burned? Thanks.:confused:

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Deck Belt #2  
If you're really in a bind with belt routing & no pic; Just make sure the "V" side of the belt goes into V-grooved sheaves (pulleys) and the flat side goes against flat pulleys. It's usually self explanitory that way. In regards to the autogear trans, definitely DO NOT ride the motion control pedals to regulate ground speed. Select the range of your liking and keep the pedal mashed all the way.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Deck Belt #3  
Here's a page from the 48" deck manual on changing the belt. You didn't say what size deck you had but the belt routing should be the same for all three sizes of decks.
deck_belt.jpg

I would also put some grease in that idler arm you said was stiff and check to make sure all the pulleys spin freely.

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Deck Belt #4  
AS long as the belt is off take the time to turn the spindles and see if the bearings are quiet.

Do the idler pulleys as well to make sure they are not noisy and make sure that the spring tensioners move freely. That often is the reason for belts being tossed!

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Deck Belt #5  
AS long as the belt is off take the time to turn the spindles and see if the bearings are quiet.

Do the idler pulleys as well to make sure they are not noisy and make sure that the spring tensioners move freely. That often is the reason for belts being tossed!

I've got a 2160 with the 48" deck and had to replace the pulley on the idler arm assembly when the bearings went bad. On my original parts, there was not grease fitting for that pulley - the replacement has a fitting. Those bearings were going bad for awhile - I couldn't believe how much quieter the deck was with the new parts. I've also had to replace one blade spindle assembly that went bad. Lube everything and you should be good to go, if everything is moving freely.