Oil & Fuel 7000 series diesel won't start, need help!

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #1  

kesterl

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction. I have a cub cadet 7000 that's been working great. I used it last sunday, put it in the shed and all was well. Last night I went to start it up and it won't fire. It turns over, I checked the filters and it's getting fuel. The only notable difference is my glow plug indicator light stays on. Usually it goes off after 5-8 seconds, then I'll try and start it. But it just stays on. I would think that it should still start as it's not that cold yet. I checked the fuse panel and all those are okay. The only thing I didn't check is the inline fuse. Could it be that? How hard is it to replace a glow plug? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #2  
Hmm, my tractor I never use the glow plugs... give it a little throttle and turn the key and its running.
Im thinking fuel supply... water in fuel? fuel pump?

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #3  
On most newer deisel engines the glow plug circuit has a electronic relay/timer that senses ambient temp and glow plug resistance. It sounds like the relay isn't sensing any resistance in the glow plugs therefor it isn't opening the fuel shut off solenoid. Check to see if there is voltage on the glow plugs with a test light or meter when you first turn the key.

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #4  
My 7235 just did the same thing. I am told it is the engine shutoff solenoid. They have to order 2 weeks they said and $260.
If anyone knows where I can get one faster please let me know.

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #5  
I think OldMachinist is correct. It seems to me that you should be able to tell if the engine is getting any fuel by watching the exhaust when the engine is cranking. When starting my tractor cold (with the throttle open) I can see white mist in the exhaust when it first cranks (indicating presence of fuel) which turns momentarily black as the engine catches and fires up. If the engine is not getting fuel I don't think you will see anything in the exhaust.

JN

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #6  
My 7235 just did the same thing. I am told it is the engine shutoff solenoid. They have to order 2 weeks they said and $260.
If anyone knows where I can get one faster please let me know.

What old machinist said. My 7360ss has a small 1.5" by 2" black timing module mounted to the firewall on the Right side of the tractor. Mounted by one bolt to the firewall. Common that they failed on the 7360 series. Cub has a new updated part that is suppose to be better. If your outside temp gets to be around 32 degrees F, mine will not start without the glow plugs.

Dw

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #7  
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Question - has anyone ever installed a by-pass for the glow plug timer to allow starting the tractor if the timer fails? I'm thinking that one could simply by-pass the circuit and use a push button (momentarily on) switch like a universal horn button to activate it. Of course one would need to be sure they didn't hold it down too long and risk burning up the glow plugs, but it does seem that it would serve well on a cold morning if and when the timer decides to take a dump until a replacement part could be acquired.

JN

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #8  
Try unplugging the controller temp sensor wire from the rear sensor (I think) on the top water outlet. This will put the controller in max on mode which is good for 10-12 seconds every time. You probably don't want much more than that?

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #9  
Outlander,

Fortunately for me the starting problem I did have was resolved by researching it on the forum and following the advice I found. I asked the question about by-passing the glow plug timer as a 'what if', but I appreciate the reply.

Hopefully I won't ever need to use the trick you mentioned, but I'll keep it in mind if ever the glow plug timer acts up on my 6284 tractor. Tips like that could really save the day on a cold morning with a balky starting tractor.

My 6284 is the first diesel powered machine I have ever owned. I really like it but there are some things different enough that there is a learning curve.

Thanks!

JN

/ 7000 series diesel won't start, need help! #10  
Outlander,

Fortunately for me the starting problem I did have was resolved by researching it on the forum and following the advice I found. I asked the question about by-passing the glow plug timer as a 'what if', but I appreciate the reply.

Hopefully I won't ever need to use the trick you mentioned, but I'll keep it in mind if ever the glow plug timer acts up on my 6284 tractor. Tips like that could really save the day on a cold morning with a balky starting tractor.

My 6284 is the first diesel powered machine I have ever owned. I really like it but there are some things different enough that there is a learning curve.

Thanks!

JN

I would research it well before bypassing glow plug controls. I had 2 early 80's GM diesel cars, a 1980 Bonnevile and a 1982 Cadillac De Ville. They both used 6 volt glow plugs for faster startup so they were energised for a very short interval.

Bob B.