cub cadet 6284 pto

/ cub cadet 6284 pto #1  

brownie9375

:confused:I just bought a cub cadet 6284 with loader. The loader is very slow and the tractor makes a whining noise when i use the loader. The pto shaft does not work. I can tell it has been taken apart but dont know what was done. I was told by a dealer it is not worth fixing the pto, he said it wont hold up. I would like any info about the speed of the loader and fixing the pto. I feel I got a good buy and have room in value to fix.

/ cub cadet 6284 pto #2  
Brownie,

I have a 6284 that I purchased with just 12 hrs on it last spring. I have used mine with the FEL, a bush hog, a 6' finish mower, and a boom for logging firewood with good results. I have had a couple of instances when there seemed to be a momentary disruption in forward motion by the hydrostatic transmission but in retrospect I believe these happened when one of the front drive wheels lost traction since the tractor is on-demand (not full time) 4WD.

In any case, there is a factory bulletin on the hydraulic filter and housing ( see http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/cub-cadet/147228-6000-7000-service-advisory.html ). I would check to see that you have the updated design filter and housing installed. Perhaps this will help with the FEL issue. Also be sure that the correct fluid has been used in the trans / hydraulic system since CUB recommends Ultra high duty fluid. I use mystic JT-5 hydraulic oil available at Rural King or TSC.

For parts and technical assistance I recommend that you give the guys at Houtz & Son (Elburn, IL) a call at 630-365-6551. They have been very helpful for me regarding advice and parts.

For service manuals check out this link ( http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/cub-cadet/151597-cub-cadet-6284-service-manual.html ).

I hope that this information proves helpful to you. Please keep us updated as to what you learn. I will be very interested to know. Good Luck!

JN

/ cub cadet 6284 pto #3  
Brownie - any luck with the problems?

Jeff - How ya doin?! Sounds like you are havin fun with the Cub!

Frank

/ cub cadet 6284 pto #4  
Hey, so far so good. Over 60 hours on it now and everything seems fine. I had a few times I thought there might be a hydrostatic issue but now it appears I was unloading one of the front tires because it happened when I was making sharp turns over some rutted path allowing one of the front tires to freewheel. I guess that is the disadvantage of on-demand 4WD but not a major issue.

I have done the prescribed hydro filter changes and I found that the updated filter housing described in a factory bulletin was already installed so apparently the tractor was built after the bulletin was issued. Also have changed oil and filter and lubed everything. The flashing CHANGE OIL message on the dash for several operating hours after I had already performed the maintenance was annoying - especially since I could not find anything in the manual that said it would flash until about 52 hours. Once I realized that was what it was supposed to do it was fine.

I now have a box blade, an angle blade, a 6' finish mower, a 4' bush hog, a 3 pt (screw type) log splitter, and a 3 pt boom for the tractor. All work well. I am going to build a heavier trailer to pull behind it this winter, but except for a rototiller I can't think of anything else I could want for it - except maybe a quick attach for the 3 pt.

It does appear that the Perkins diesel is cold tempered and may be balky starting when the temperatures really drop. I think that part of the issue is my not having the throttle open far enough when it is cold and I guess I will need to open it up all the way and then quickly shut it back when the engine catches. At least that's how I am hoping it will work.

I have been very pleased with the fuel economy of the diesel and it has been great for mowing the yard, trails, and my paw paw grove. The blades have been helpful for grading the long gravel drive we have though I do need to get a load of gravel in. I have not had a chance to use the splitter yet but have no reason to think it won't work well. I think the screw style splitter should work faster and better than hydraulic ram style splitters. The 3 pt boom has been very helpful for dragging logs out of the brush and brambles into our trails for easier cutting. We simply drag the logs out and then with them still hanging just move down the log with the chain saw undercutting every 18" or so.

So yes, I have been happy with the 6284. I have not removed the loader from the tractor since I got it. The loader is so handy that it just makes sense to leave it on. I suppose one of these days I should take it off just to see how it goes off and on, but why?

JN

Last edited:
   / cub cadet 6284 pto #5  
ScoutCub,

You had to ask didn't you? :eek:

Since replying to you I had the 6284 out last weekend to cut and haul firewood. The tractor did not want to start in the barn in the morning and I finally got it started by jumping it. Later, in the woods it did not want to start again. Both times (once cold and once hot) I could hear one single click behind the dash when I turned the key and nothing else - Not even the click of the starter solenoid or the groaning of a starter trying to start with a weak battery. I felt that there was some sort of electrical problem with the circuit that energizes the solenoid but did not have time to examine it further except for checking the safety lock-out switches on the seat.

I did a little searching on this and other forums and found that this is a common problem on the Cubs ( Cub no crank start problems -- Cub Cadet ). Apparently all of the energizing current to the starter solenoid is routed through all of the safety switches which can lower the voltage to the point that the solenoid will not engage. The recommended cure is to install a relay in front of the safety switches to deliver full battery voltage directly to the solenoid. Makes sense and it is a modification I will do right away to eliminate a frustrating problem from reoccurring. :)

JN

/ cub cadet 6284 pto #6  
Jeff -

oops :eek:. Sorry bout that! Have to keep it in mind....haven't had that problem on any of mine yet.......

Frank

/ cub cadet 6284 pto #7  
haven't had that problem on any of mine yet.......

Like I said, I never had the problem until you asked. So, because I am a very spiteful person, I now have to ask you..... how's it going with your 6284 ??? If it won't start this weekend it's because I asked - see above for the solution. :D :D :D

Ooooo - it's tractor Voo Doo!

;) JN

/ cub cadet 6284 pto #8  
Like I said, I never had the problem until you asked. So, because I am a very spiteful person, I now have to ask you..... how's it going with your 6284 ??? If it won't start this weekend it's because I asked - see above for the solution. :D :D :D

Ooooo - it's tractor Voo Doo!

;) JN

Yea, hey thanks a lot! My 6284 has been just sitting in the garage, less than 10 hours on it! I did finally buy some land in Ohio, so maybe next year I will start working it.....

Back to the OP.....any luck with the problems Brownie?

/ cub cadet 6284 pto #9  
OK. I installed a relay in the starting circuit this weekend on my 6284 and it definitely makes an improvement on how the tractor starts - especially when cold. Prior to installing the relay the starter would not engage or attempt to start at all at times and other times it would crank until the engine started to catch and then kick out before the engine actually started. In many ways it was acting like a weak battery when it the starter did engage.

I installed a 4 pin, 30 amp, 12 vold relay (Dorman part number 84601 - under $8.00 at auto parts store) and a 15 amp inline fuse on the battery side of the switched circuit. To energize the relay I took the small wire from the starter solenoid and routed it to the solenoid and grounded the other side. I then took battery power from the large positive post on the solenoid and routed it to the switched side of the relay. The other switched post I then ran to the small wire (energizing circuit) connection on the starter solenoid. See diagram at link listed in earlier post. I mounted the relay on the front of the bulkhead for the radiator (see photos).

After installing the relay the tractor now cranks much better when cold without kicking out. It acts like the battery is much stronger and I believe this is because before the voltage would drop when the starter began to crank causing the energizing voltage to the solenoid to drop thereby disengaging the starter.

The tractor still does not fire immediately when cold and I have learned to crank it a couple of revolutions after the glow plug light goes out and then wait a few moments and re-engage the glow plug cycle. After the second glow plug cycle the tractor fires right up when cranked again.

The relay installation is relatively easy and inexpensive to do and I am pleased with the noticeable improvement when starting the tractor.

JN

P1010003.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010013.jpg

/ cub cadet 6284 pto #10  
Just a follow up to my post above...... We got blasted this last couple of days with high winds, single digit temps, and blowing snow. This morning I had to move a trailer load of fire wood down to near our outdoor wood furnace so I wondered how the 6284 would be trying to start in the cold. I was pleasantly surprised that (with the modification described above) the tractor started right up.

Prior to installing the relay the 6284 would be hard to start even in just slightly cold temps. When trying to start it would turn over until the engine would try to catch and then the starter would kick out. I could not crank it long enough for the engine to actually get running. After installing the relay it now cranks through that moment when the engine is catching until it is actually running.

I also have found that cycling the glow plugs twice before cranking helps a lot. I am much more confident that my Cub will start now when I need it in real cold weather. I may still consider purchasing a magnetic heater to stick on the oil pan in severely cold weather, but I am really pleased with the improvement that installing the relay has made for me.

JN