Best cub ih to pull plow?

/ Best cub ih to pull plow? #1  

Undercover

Silver Member
i went to my 1st plow day this last fall and would like to get into it.
I bought a 782 also this fall(before i thought of plowing).It is in great shape doesn't smoke even on start up.But it is the later model i believe. it is red but the tran area is black it has the K17 without oil filter.These don't like hills.Also i have discovered a oil leak in the upper front area of engine.I talked with a guy that would fix it, he said worst case it would be about $500 to fix it.Plan to take it there this spring but he works on large tractors and he will have it a while.So not sure i want to plow with it.

So for my plow tractor i have a few leads.I have not looked at any of these but have talked with the owners.Cub ih 149 rough $485, a Cub ih 1650 $800(I trust this guy he has helped me a lot over the phone on my 782), a cub ih 1450 $??? this guy says it is in great shape and will sell.But he is moving into a new home and is not sure what he needs yet but will let me known when he has time.

$800 is about the max i would like to spend on the tractor.Its going to be more $$$ to get the plow hitch weights tires and what ever else i will need.I'm not set on the above gt's but i like the wide frames.Would the wide frame 1250 or 129 do the job as good?
Also i kinda like the 147.
----------------------------------
Cub Cadet IH 782
04 GT 3235 60" deck
07 GT 1554

Last edited:
   / Best cub ih to pull plow? #2  
I had Cadet 1450 back in late 70's,only problems I had....
1.Electric pto..burnt out 3 times..made sheild to protecr from blowing snow.
2.Front wheel bearing weren't heavy enough for snowblower..replace w/heavy duty bearing work fine.
other than that it was great for mowing and easy to service.

/ Best cub ih to pull plow? #3  
i went to my 1st plow day this last fall and would like to get into it.
I bought a 782 also this fall(before i thought of plowing).It is in great shape doesn't smoke even on start up.But it is the later model i believe. it is red but the tran area is black it has the K17 without oil filter.These don't like hills.Also i have discovered a oil leak in the upper front area of engine.I talked with a guy that would fix it, he said worst case it would be about $500 to fix it.Plan to take it there this spring but he works on large tractors and he will have it a while.So not sure i want to plow with it.

So for my plow tractor i have a few leads.I have not looked at any of these but have talked with the owners.Cub ih 149 rough $485, a Cub ih 1650 $800(I trust this guy he has helped me a lot over the phone on my 782), a cub ih 1450 $??? this guy says it is in great shape and will sell.But he is moving into a new home and is not sure what he needs yet but will let me known when he has time.

$800 is about the max i would like to spend on the tractor.Its going to be more $$$ to get the plow hitch weights tires and what ever else i will need.I'm not set on the above gt's but i like the wide frames.Would the wide frame 1250 or 129 do the job as good?
Also i kinda like the 147.
----------------------------------
Cub Cadet IH 782
04 GT 3235 60" deck
07 GT 1554

Most of the Kohler engines have a front and rear crankshaft seal. For some reason it seems the front seal starts to leak first. The seals usually costs less than $5.00 each. It sounds like the seal on the front is leaking and needs replacing. The engine does not need to be dis-assembled to replace the seal. Most of the time all that is required is remove a pulley, pull the old seal out and replace it with a new seal. If you go to the Kohler engine site and enter your engine number and spec number you can download a manual for the engine. $500.00 seem awful high to me to replace a leaking seal and all the other external gaskets on the engine, new spark plug, gas and air filters, etc.

/ Best cub ih to pull plow? #4  
The easiest way I know to pull the seal is to drill a small hole and put a drywall screw in it and pull it out with that. There is about a 1/2" gap behind it, so just don't go to deep with the screw.
Now just because your 782 engine doesn'thave a oil filter doesn't mean it's not a series 2 KT. You need to look at the spec number and see if it is below 24300. The series 2 spec numbers start at 24300. It's located near one of the valve covers on top of the engine. Also, I don't think the angle when plowing is really enough to starve the engine of oil. you might want to ask that question at some of the other more specific cub cadet websites.
if you want a plow tractor, I do have a IH built 582 that I'm looking to get rid of. It runs but the front pto is not working. i would take $500 for it. It's in decent shape. Just someone backed into a telephone pole with it and bent the rear fenders right in the middle. Or I have another 582 that is plow ready. It has a kohler m18 engine, rear 3pt, spring assist, 2 sets of rear wheel weights(Cast Iron Sears weights), new rimguard loaded rear ag tires, and a pulling tractor clutch. If you wanted the tractor, sleeve hitch adaptor, and plow, i would let it go for $1700. All you would need to do, is put gas in it and take it to the field. Btw, it will pull a plow in 3rd gear with out any problem. Of couse, I would be willing to work out a trade for your 782 also.

AJ