Another Electrical System Question

/ Another Electrical System Question #1  

jnelson

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 6284
I improved the starting on my 6284 by installing a relay switch to provide full power to the starter solenoid - see http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/cub-cadet/159229-hard-starting.html. Now I have another question I'm hoping someone can answer.

When I was installing the relay switch I disconnected the battery while doing the wiring. When I went to hook the battery back up I heard a click coming from under the dash. When I notice this the ignition and lights are off as well as anything else electrical that I can think of.

At first I thought I must have done something wrong in my wiring and even removed the relay at one point to double check myself. The single click sounds like it is coming from the area under the dash and sounds like a relay switch energizing, though the relay I installed is up front by the radiator and is not making the sound. Can anyone tell me what this might be?

If something is energizing and creating a draw this will drain the battery over time. I have not experienced a dead battery yet, but I have used the tractor every weekend since I got it so if there is a drain it is a slow one.

But here is where it gets interesting. I was talking to another 6284 owner this last weekend and he tells me he has the same problem, except on his tractor the drain is enough that it will totally drain the battery over a day or so. He has had to replace the battery once already and he has to disconnect the battery whenever he parks the tractor. He has not been able to pinpoint the source of the problem so far.

So does anyone know what this mysterious battery drain might be and how to fix it? It seems to me that when the ignition and lights are off that there should not be anything energizing or drawing current when the battery is hooked up, right?

Thanks!

JN

/ Another Electrical System Question #2  
Man, what a lemon you bought!!

Ok, your jinx worked on me. My 6284's been sitting for awhile, I was waiting for a new muffler for it. (had to use mine on another one that was broken) Soo, tried to charge it up the other day to start er up and move it around a bit, and it wouldn't charge......dead cell in the battery. 70 bucks later, I'm back in business.....now take the curse off!

/ Another Electrical System Question
Scoutcub,

OK. To remove the curse first you need to perform the relay installation like I did. Let me know if you need more information than is already posted here on this site. It made my tractor noticeably better to start in cold weather (assuming a fully charged battery). Also remember to cycle the glow plugs twice and give it plenty of throttle as well in cold weather.

Second, until we get this battery drain issue figured out it sounds like you may want to disconnect the battery when the tractor will not be used for an extended period of time. Of course one solution would be to install a battery disconnect switch, but that seems like a pain in the ***** and hopefully we will get someone to weigh in here with a way to resolve this properly.

Anyone....... ????????

Stay tuned.....

JN

PS - I'm not ready to call my tractor a lemon. Rather, it is one with issues. So far I am managing to keep up with or ahead of the things I need to learn to keep the beast happy and working. Hopefully with good maintenance and a few strategic mods it will serve me well for a long, long time. To date I have put it to very good use.

/ Another Electrical System Question #4  
If you post an electrical schematic, I think we might be able to help you.

If you post an electrical schematic, I think we might be able to help you.

J_J,

I would if I had one. I have a copy of the 7000 series service manual which I understand is similar to the 6284 but I don't know if similar is sufficient for this.

JN

/ Another Electrical System Question #6  
I've looked at the wiring diagrams for the 7000 series and most of the diagrams I have for Cubs and they are all the same when it comes the positive circuit. It goes from the battery to the starter solenoid, a fusible link and then the "B" terminal on the ignition switch. If the switch is in the off position nothing after it should have power. So the I would pull the connector off the switch and see if you still hear the click when you connect the battery. If it goes away then your switch may have a problem.

OM,

Thanks for that. I have not had a chance to check into this as you recommended yet, but I sure will.

The battery drain on my tractor can't be too severe since I have not had a dead battery (I do run the tractor every weekend). Others it appears are not as lucky and their system can go dead literally over night. It appears that there is some sort of issue at work here and it should help a number of people if it can be pinned down.

JN

/ Another Electrical System Question #8  
It is easy to determine a current drain with an ammeter. Remove the positive lead off the Bat, an connect an ammeter from the battery to the positive lead. If any current is flowing, you have a leak. A multimeter with a 10 a rating would be ideal.

OldMachinist

Can you post the electrical schematic.