What's this icon on the dash?

/ What's this icon on the dash? #1  

jnelson

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 6284
I have a question about an icon that displays on my digital display on the dash of my 6284. When I first start the tractor it displays an icon of a battery and a read-out of the voltage for a short time. Then the display changes to displaying the operating hours with a flashing icon on the left side of the display (see photo below).

My question is what does that icon represent and is there significance to the fact that it is flashing? I have not been able to find any reference to it in the owners manual. My best guess is that the icon is supposed to represent an hour glass to indicate that hours are being displayed. Assuming that is the case does the fact that it is flashing mean anything or is that the default state? I did receive the flashing change oil message back around forty hours but that stopped flashing after a couple of hours of operation (and yes, I did change the oil).

I don't think there is much significance to the flashing icon but I would like to be sure. Thanks in advance.

JN

/ What's this icon on the dash? #2  
That's supposed to look like an hour glass, and it means your hour meter is running and counting the time.

/ What's this icon on the dash?
Thanks. That's what I thought but I don't remember it flashing until just recently. I suppose it's possible that it has been and I just never noticed it. Now that I have noticed it flashing it's been driving me nuts (not a long trip) and I was wondering if flashing had any significance. I guess not....

JN

/ What's this icon on the dash? #4  
Hey! Put some fuel in that thing will ya? Nice looking dash on that 6284 BTW.

Joel

JTKub,

That was going to be my next question. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with the engine quitting when the fuel gauge reads all the way to the left side of the gauge. :confused:

The dash layout is nice but I really miss functional gauges like an ammeter, voltage meter, oil pressure, water temp, etc. The center gauge does momentarily read voltage when the engine first starts but it then switches to hours with no apparent way to toggle the display. I've been giving some thought to installing some after-market gauges at some point when I've run out of other things to do (probably never). If someone here has done an install of additional gauges I'd like to see pictures of what they have done.

JN

/ What's this icon on the dash? #6  
So is that Icon different than the one on the lawn tractors? On the lawn tracotrs, when that I con comes on, it means you're supposed to do routine maintence on it. Then after a couple of hours, it shuts off by it's self.
AJ

Majicalj,

That's a good question and it is not documented in the owners manual. I can tell you that at one point (40 or 50 hrs, I don't remember) the hours started flashing a change oil (spelled out in the LCD) message that continued for several operating hours before it went away on it's own. I have stayed ahead of all scheduled maintenance including oil change, hydraulic filter changes, lubrication, etc but the tractor has no way of sensing that to override flashing messages.

It seems to me (but I can't swear to it) that the hour icon did not used to flash and it now does. But without any other documentation or messages I have no way of knowing what it is indicating. There is not even a mention of that icon in the owners manual.

I think you may be right that it is indicating I have passed some recommended maintenance point. It is sure annoying flashing like that, particularly since I have stayed ahead of all the maintenance procedures specified in the manual. I just want to be sure it is not indicating that anything is wrong that I could be overlooking. The tractor runs fine and everything appears to be operating properly so I can only watch it and see.

JN