Parking Brake Won't Stay Set

/ Parking Brake Won't Stay Set #1  

jnelson

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 6284
I have a 6284 that I use every weekend. Overall it has been a great little tractor, but I can not get the parking brake to stay engaged with the brake lock lever. It is a very annoying problem when it is necessary to get off and back on the tractor frequently, such as when hooking up 3 point implements. I have had this issue every since I obtained the tractor new.

This tractor has a brake lock lever that you are supposed to press down on while the park brake pedal is depressed. To get it to set I have to press really hard on the brake pedal and the lock lever and even then it only sets about 50% of the time. It is impossible to tell if the brake lever has locked the brake until you raise off the seat and the engine stalls (very annoying).

I also have a problem with the brake pedal not returning and I have to bend down and pull it up by hand when ever it has been depressed - including every time I start the tractor (even more annoying). I don't know if these two problems are directly related.

I have talked to another 6284 owner that has exactly the same problems. I studied the service manual and found out how to check and adjust the brakes, which I have done. They did not require adjustment. I looked at the parts manual and I cannot identify any springs or other pieces missing from my tractor. I'm not sure where the actual energy to return the pedal should come from and I cannot see any adjustment that should improve the way the parking detent should work.

Has anyone else here had the same issue with a 6284 or similar model? If so, do you find a remedy?

Thanks!

JN

/ Parking Brake Won't Stay Set #2  
YOU SAY THAT YOU HAVE TO REACH DOWN AND PULL THE PEDAL UP BY HAND, DOES THE LINKAGE TO THE PEDAL HAVE ANY TYPE OF GREASE FITTINGS THAT MAY NEED TO BE GREASED?

/ Parking Brake Won't Stay Set
Good question. No, the linkage moves freely. The pedal movement is easy and it acts as if there is a return spring missing. I can't find anywhere that there is supposed to be one besides the springs on the linkage where the linkage attaches to the actuator arms at the rear wheels.

JN

/ Parking Brake Won't Stay Set #4  
Hey guy!
Have you tried getting inside the center column to lubricate the linkages? I think I've seen it before, from sitting around they can bind up. It's hard to get in there, but maybe a lube can with a straw.....and I THINK there is a brake return spring in there....sounds like it's missing.....follow the crossover linkage, it might be on the other side of the tractor.

Thanks. I'll try to get into that this weekend. It's been a while since I looked at it and I need to refresh my memory on the layout under there. Since the brake does set sometimes it seems to me that whatever represents the detent and/or pawl that keeps the brake set is the villain.

I agree that there has to be some type of return spring that is missing to cause the pedal not to return. I have not been able to identify what it is or where it belongs by looking at a parts diagram.

I will report my findings when I've had a chance to pursue it further.

JN

/ Parking Brake Won't Stay Set #6  
On the brake lock on my B3200 the lock has a toothed ratchet with a interlocking lever. When I first got it the lever was actually pressing against the side of the ratchet instead of engaging the ratchet lock. Minor adjustment remedied the problem.

Powerpace,

Thanks for that information. It gives me something to look for. Hopefully my brake assembly is similar to yours and that will be a logical place to start looking.

I'm not sure I will get to look at it this weekend. I need to use the tractor to get up into the woods to cut, split, and haul firewood. It warmed up some this past week but is getting colder again now so I want to add to the wood pile near the house. We heat with wood so keeping the wood pile well stocked is a priority.

I will say that my 6284 has been great at hauling my large 5 x 10 heavy duty trailer back and forth into the woods for transporting large loads of wood. It's done a super job of pulling the trailer up and down steep hills and through deep snow on our trails. One thing that I did that has really helped was to hang 200 pounds worth (5 x 40 lb) suitcase weights on the front. With the FEL and added weights on the front the front wheels contribute far better traction in the snow.

The Cubs' super tight turning radius has been extremely helpful in maneuvering and backing the trailer in tight spots in the woods. The places I have been able to get into and out of (and in deep snow) are pretty impressive.

JN

/ Parking Brake Won't Stay Set #8  
I have a 6284 that I use every weekend. Overall it has been a great little tractor, but I can not get the parking brake to stay engaged with the brake lock lever. It is a very annoying problem when it is necessary to get off and back on the tractor frequently, such as when hooking up 3 point implements. I have had this issue every since I obtained the tractor new.

This tractor has a brake lock lever that you are supposed to press down on while the park brake pedal is depressed. To get it to set I have to press really hard on the brake pedal and the lock lever and even then it only sets about 50% of the time. It is impossible to tell if the brake lever has locked the brake until you raise off the seat and the engine stalls (very annoying).

I also have a problem with the brake pedal not returning and I have to bend down and pull it up by hand when ever it has been depressed - including every time I start the tractor (even more annoying). I don't know if these two problems are directly related.

I have talked to another 6284 owner that has exactly the same problems. I studied the service manual and found out how to check and adjust the brakes, which I have done. They did not require adjustment. I looked at the parts manual and I cannot identify any springs or other pieces missing from my tractor. I'm not sure where the actual energy to return the pedal should come from and I cannot see any adjustment that should improve the way the parking detent should work.

Has anyone else here had the same issue with a 6284 or similar model? If so, do you find a remedy?

Thanks!

JN
I have the same exact problem and my tractor is a 2006 with only 98 hours. Has anyone found a solution?

I have been busy every weekend cutting, splitting, and hauling firewood and spreading wood chips on my mile of (muddy) trails. That, along with the fact that it has not been warm enough to work on non-essential repairs and maintenance have kept me from probing the parking brake issue further. I will say that it is a major annoyance that the parking brake does not hold and the engine quits every time I have to get off and back on the tractor - particularly when attaching 3 pt equipment or hooking up to trailers.

I know of at least one other 6284 that reports that their parking brake has never worked since new so there is obviously some problem with the design. Hopefully the cure will be a simple adjustment or tweak and I do intend to work on it as soon as the weather warms up and I have a bit of spare time.

Fortunately, the hydrostatic drive of the tractor helps in keeping the tractor from rolling when parked on uneven ground, but I still don't like not having the brake reliable. The inconvenience of having the engine shut off every time I get off the seat is really annoying.

I will post anything I learn here and hope that others do as well. I'm confident that if someone finds a good solution to this it will help the rest of us also.

JN

PS - Ultraflame - have you had any starting issues with your 6284? If so you may want to check out the thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/cub-cadet/157287-cub-cadet-6284-power-take.html. See about half way down the thread for the solution.

Last edited:
   / Parking Brake Won't Stay Set #10  
Thanks JN I will have to give that a shot. Looks to be a great fix to the slow and lazy starting issue. I developed a leak yesterday on the hydraulic arm for the front left wheel right at the fitting.