Snow Model 551 CC Snow Blower

/ Model 551 CC Snow Blower #1  

kruss77

Bronze Member
Tractor
1995 CC 1864 Hydro
Model 551 CC Snow Blower Drive Belt Problem

I just burned through my second drive belt on my model 551 snow blower. The first belt lasted 7 years, then snapped last week (it looked old). I bought a CC brand replacement belt and it snapped in 1 hour. While installing the new belt this morning I made sure that everything was moving freely in case the first failure was triggered by something getting bound up. Everything moved freely and the new belt (other than being a little stiff -as I would expect a brand new belt to be) went on fine. However, after only about an hour this morning, bang! It snapped in half and was separating in two other spots. This particular application requires the belt to twist 90* in a span of about 9" on either side the blower housing as the belt transistions from the blower drive pulley onto two idler pulleys as it twists 90* again again as it transitions on up to the main drive pulley on the front of the motor. That seems pretty severe for a stiff belt like this, but the last belt lasted a long time with no trouble traveling that route. I wonder if the new belt was TOO stiff.

Anyone got any ideas? Is there a superior brand of belt I should be using or did I do something wrong?

Also, anyone ever hear of a steel or kevlar reinforced drive belt?

Attachments

• DSCF0387.jpg
    DSCF0387.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 2,099
  • DSCF0389.jpg
    DSCF0389.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 3,083
  • Cub model 19-551 2-stage blower01.jpg
    Cub model 19-551 2-stage blower01.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 4,378
Last edited:
   / Model 551 CC Snow Blower #2  
Re: Model 551 CC Snow Blower Drive Belt Problem

yeah, CC uses belts made from kevlar in a number of apps on their products. Dunno if yers is supposed to be such or not

Looking at CC's current parts list for your blower, you should have gotten a "754-0341 V-Belt, 5/8 X 89 Lg", right ?

/ Model 551 CC Snow Blower
Yeah, that's the part number I ordered, except when I picked it up the package was labeled 954-0341. I was told that '954' was the correct number.

/ Model 551 CC Snow Blower #4  
I would question yer belt source closely on thet p/n difference - the number I referenced wus right out of the current cub parts list for thet blower. You may have gotten a substitute belt w/o the kevlar construction.
Did the pkging on the belt you just picked up have cub cadet or MTD logo labeling on the box/wrapper ?

I questioned the number when they (the CC dealer) told me there was a replacement number, but they claimed it was the "new" number for this part. Is there a way to determine if this belt is actually Kevlar reinforced? If it is, I'm in trouble since I've now broken two of them.

Do belts need to be 'broken-in' or seasoned somehow? Perhaps I went at it too hard right out of the gate. The temperature outside yesterday was right at 32* and the snow was somewhat heavy and wet. It broke while I was attempting to clear a particularly deep section of snow at the road where the plows heap snow into the end of the driveway (with all the slush from the road mixed in with the snow). I've cleared that section plenty of times without any problems, but this is the same spot I lost both belts. Also, I'm wondering if the spring that tensions one of the idler pulleys is too weak. It doesn't seem to place much tension on the belt. After re-inspecting both belts last night I noticed that both had a 'burn' mark on half of the back side of the belt all the way around. I wonder if the belts rolled over and lost their grip until they finally snapped.

Attached is the sleeve and label for this belt.

Attachments

• MTD 954-0341 - Sleeve.jpg
    MTD 954-0341 - Sleeve.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 554
  • MTD 954-0341 - Label.jpg
    MTD 954-0341 - Label.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:
   / Model 551 CC Snow Blower #6  
Ken - get the phone number to CC corp service dept anf have them to confirm correct part number and if belt construction is/should be kevlar. phone Number should be in your manuals. If you can't find, try this number: 1-877-282- 8684

Make SURE your belt path is working good - idler pullys, brgs, pivot points dry lubed, etc. Your comment about failed belts being burned on back is a tip that all is not right with your belt path. Consult yer manual for any help on routing correct side of belt around "90 degree" idler pulleys - or ask CC serv tech during phone call.

When belt is installed and depressed at middle of belt span between 2 pulleys (mebbe 6-8 inches) with yer index finger - belt should not easily depress more than 1/4 inch, IMHO. If more, would suspect idle brkt spring is installed wrong or too weak.

I don't think any "special" belt break-in is needed outside of engaging blower drive and running for a minnit or so to get belt warm, flexible and fully seated before sugjecting it to heavy loads.

I'm going to pick up a Kevlar v-belt from Tractor Supply this week and try it as an experiment. TC claims their Kelvar belts are for heavy duty applications so I'm going to see what happens (it'll be easier to ruin a $25 belt vs. the $40 CC belt). I'm also going to pick up some HEAVY DUTY tensioning springs to try on the idler pulley lever. There was definately more than 1/4" of play in the belt with the tensioning arm set. I'd guess that it was more like 1.25". It did seem intuitively looser than it should have been, but I didn't consciously think about increaseing the tension since it'd been fine up until now (well, maybe not 'fine' since I've lost two belts within a week!). It seems to me that that might actually be the problem since both belts failed in the exact same way and both had the exact same 'burn' marks on the backside of the belt suggesting that they rolled over on the pulley. I do recall the belt rolling over two seasons ago (I smelled the belt burning and immedaitely stopped and inspected -only to find it on its edge). However, it worked fine the rest of the season and up-until last week. Perhaps the tensioning spring has 'relaxed' over time and is in need to replacement (it is 15 years old now).

/ Model 551 CC Snow Blower #8  
99 percent of belts that started with 754 are now 954. Same belt last numbers are the same.

/ Model 551 CC Snow Blower #9  
the one thing about generic belts, kevlar included is that a lot of times they don't have the reinforcement for back side idlers and don't last.
the comment of burnt areas tell me that something isn't moving.
my experince is that a broken or burnt belt is a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself

Well, I was able to confirm that the CC replacement belt I ordered/ruined was indeed a Kevlar reinforced belt. CrapDamnit! That explains the cost ($40.00). I'm still going to buy a no-name Kevlar belt to use for experimenting with the idler pulley tension. At least if I ruin it it'll only cost me half as much! Once I get the idler pulley tension dialed in, I'll order another CC Kevlar reinforced belt. We'll see how it goes!