1527 diesel won't stay running

/ 1527 diesel won't stay running #1  

evan4434

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3184
Man I tell you I should have learned my lesson the first two times buying a Cub Cadet!

First I had issues with my 2544 then my 3184 and now my 1572.

Ok here is what is going on. When I start it it blows a lot of black smoke at first and it was 60 degrees outside. Then it will run for about a minutes or two and die. When it is dieing it sounds like it is running on two cylinders instead of 3.

I am going to try and trace it down from the fuel tank forward this weekend if I get time. I am hoping it is just a bad fuel filter or something.

Also the fuel pump always is making noise like it is running before I start the engine. Should it stop before I start the engine like it is pressurized? I thought most electronic fuel pumps stopped pumping once there was enough pressure.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
   / 1527 diesel won't stay running
Update

I took the feed fuel line off the second filter and turned the pump on and I had plenty of fuel, so the first filter and tank is not plugged up.

Then I bleed the second filter for air and the injection pump. Then I started it up after about two or three minutes of run time driving forward an reverse half throttle it started acting up again, and wanted to die like it was missing or flooding out.

At this point I am thinking I have a bad injector or something and will have to take the dam thing in.

Oh one more thing, I noticed some fluid leaking from one of the bolts on the transaxle. I took the bolt out in which I notice it was really loose, and then I put some thread sealer on it. When I put it back in I found out why it was leaking. Some of the threads must be stripped out, and the thing will hardly tighten up. I guess when I get the engine fixed I will have to tear the transaxle apart now and re-tap or helicoil it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh did I say this will be the last Cub Cadet I will ever own!:mad:

/ 1527 diesel won't stay running #3  
Man I tell you I should have learned my lesson the first two times buying a Cub Cadet!

Any ideas?

i feel for your problem.But if it was me i would not start with that statement doggie CC at the CC site.It will or could hurt your chances of someone that could or will help you!!!

/ 1527 diesel won't stay running #4  
The black smoke at startup is probably one cylinder not firing at first. The few minutes run time then dies sounds like you have good fuel pressure at first, then it drops until you can't feed fuel to run any more.

If you've proven the filters are not stopping flow, I'd suggest you add a triple dose of Power Service or similar diesel fuel additive and see if it clears up at all.

You may be right, a leaky injector, or a combination of injection pump and injector.

/ 1527 diesel won't stay running #5  
I would start by pulling the petcock out of the fuel tank and making sure the screen there isn't plugged. This is a very common problem. Most people just remove the screen since it has two filters down the line. While I was there, I would go ahead and change all of the fuel lines. Once again this is a very common problem. If that doesn't help any, then I would start looking into the pump and injectors.

AJ

/ 1527 diesel won't stay running #6  
off your injector pump, crack your lines one at a time while your cranking. You'll have to have to have someone crank it, then open up each injector line til fuel is running out. As soon as fuel is running, you tighten up the connection so there is no air in the line. A diesel engine will not run with air in the system.

/ 1527 diesel won't stay running #7  
A side note, check all the bolts that hold your rearend/hydro pump in. The diesels are notorious for tearing those out. If they are still there tighten them up. My money is on that they are loose, which will lead to driveline problems. Let me know if I'm right. Also I would like to add that you should not slur Cub Cadets as they are the best built and longest lasting line of garden tractors built to this day.

/ 1527 diesel won't stay running #8  
I would check the Air filter /intake system it sounds to me like you have unburned fuel and a simple check is the air intake. Typically black is unburned fuel like when you have the throttle maxed and the engine is lugging down then you will get black smoke. To much fuel at start up could give black smoke. Cut off the air and you cut off the engine.

/ 1527 diesel won't stay running
Ok sorry about knocking Cub Cadet so bad, but I was really pissed off last night. I think I just keep buying bad apples.

Here is an update.

I have bleed the entire system from the tank up all the way to the injectors. I even cracked the tops of the injectors and bleed them.

I ran it for about 30 seconds or so and then checked the oil and noticed it was about one inch over the full mark and looked really runny.

At this point I am not going to run it until I changed to the oil. I might still have a bad injector though given all the fuel in the oil.

Thanks for all you help so far.

/ 1527 diesel won't stay running #10  
i dont know about the injectors, but ive been told a few times the enjector pumps are pretty darn expensive.