Second owner of a 5264D. What are my chances of CC paying for my shift kit?

/ Second owner of a 5264D. What are my chances of CC paying for my shift kit? #1  

Sub-Cadet68

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 5264D (Glass Trans lol)
I bought my rig,as the second owner, in Feb 08.
It's a 2006 Cub Cadet 5264D. It had a FEL & 60" deck. 126 hours on the ticker.
I paid 7 grand plus tax. :) Divorce sale.
Since day 1 it has had the scary habit of popping out of gear in high range, when under a load. As in mowing up a moderate hill. It will mow in low range no problem, but has tons of power to mow in the high range.
It also would pop out of gear pushing snow.
I recently found out that there was a service bulletin (not a safety recall according to the guy at CC customer service:mad:) released that offered an upgraded "shift kit" to owners to fix the issue.
I faxed the original sales slip that I got at the time of purchase to the authorized service center I use for repairs & THEY are going to see if the kit upgrade was ever performed (I highly doubt it) & if CC will pay for the parts if I, as the second owner, will pay for the labor since it's wayyy out of warranty. 210 hours now, I think.

Do you guys think I have a shot at getting this covered? The parts are around 225 dollars, so they tell me.

Last edited:
   / Second owner of a 5264D. What are my chances of CC paying for my shift kit? #2  
Since warranties are not transferable I am going to say I doubt it. However, I certainly don't blame you for trying. Good Luck

/ Second owner of a 5264D. What are my chances of CC paying for my shift kit?
I didn't think the warranty would transfer, it's expired now either way.
I'm just hoping that because the problem is an obvious safety issue, CC will step up and provide the parts needed to make their machine safe to run in both low & high range.
We'll see what happens.

/ Second owner of a 5264D. What are my chances of CC paying for my shift kit? #4  
I don't know how Cub will view their obligation but I do think you at least are being reasonable by asking if they cover the parts and you will pay the labor. That helps put some income in a servicing dealers pocket and apparently would satisfy you - both things Cub would view as a plus.

Good luck!

JN

/ Second owner of a 5264D. What are my chances of CC paying for my shift kit? #5  
Because it is safety related, it should be covered. There was a recall on this, I believe.
It's certainly worth a shot.

Good Luck,
Curt

/ Second owner of a 5264D. What are my chances of CC paying for my shift kit? #6  
Because it is safety related, it should be covered. There was a recall on this, I believe.
It's certainly worth a shot.
Good Luck,
Curt
Unlike a warranty a safety recall does not have an expiration date .:thumbsup:

Insomnia sucks.
But I got great news today!
A Cub Cadet customer service rep gave authorization for my local service center to GIVE me the shift kit if I pay the labor!
On top of this, the rep agreed to do it even though every single serial number is missing from my machine.
Apparantly the numbers are just STICKERS prone to being pressure washed right off the machine. So I was told.
The reps name is Gary MacPhail. He is my new favorite person. Hahaha
The parts would have been close to 250.00 including sales tax.
I'm beginningto ramble on now. Getting sleepy , finally.
Yay for CC customer service!
That is all, goodnight. :)

/ Second owner of a 5264D. What are my chances of CC paying for my shift kit? #8  
Great news....! Nice to see Cub doing the right thing......

Great news....! Nice to see Cub doing the right thing......

I know! I was 100% expecting to hear "Sorry... Without a serial number we just can't help you." instead, I just have to pay the labor. About 30 minutes to install.
I know the 5000 series has a REALLY bad rep, but I couldn't be happier with mine.

/ Second owner of a 5264D. What are my chances of CC paying for my shift kit? #10  
That's great news! I'm really glad that Cub is standing up behind their older models - even those that had issues. That will not only benefit owners of the older models but will do wonders for the Cub new model sales as well! Cub has had a bumpy ride with their CUT's in recent years but it looks like they are serious about straightening that out.

JN