1541 cub cadet

/ 1541 cub cadet #1  

harleyizy

Bronze Member
Tractor
GTX2154LE
hope someone can help me with this one. i have a cub cadet 1541. has the original "magnum 15" engine in it, over 1100 hours on meter. runs good, except for the other day. after mowing for about an hour, i was going to back it into the shed. turned up throttle a little bit and then the engine totally reved up, higher than it ever should have. it runs from idle to wide open hardly any in between. when it does, it is very sensitive to the throttle. i checked over the govenor and throttle linkage and all is just where it should be. throttle is free moving and is not hanging up. all springs are ok. is there an internal govenor on the kohler? or, is something possibly wrong with the carb? i did make an adjustment a week or so to the carb but it did not do this after the adjustment. i am afraid that if i run it like this, the engine is going to blow or the tractor is going to go out of control. HELP!!!

/ 1541 cub cadet
after contacting cub cadet, their reply was a possible problem internally with the govenor. has anyone had any experience repairing it? does anyone know where i can get information on the internal workings of the govenor?

/ 1541 cub cadet
contacted a local kohler repair shop. we are all in agreement that it is an internal issue with the governor. if nothing is damaged internally, not much of an problem. he said about 3 hours labor plus parts. he said that the magnum series of kohler engines is one of the better series of engines so that made me feel better. the bad part is the the engine has to be torn down in order to get to the governor. does not sound like a job the the typical backyard mechanic can get into. hopefully nothing is broken. do not want to look at the prospect of another engine. wish me luck!!

Last edited:
   / 1541 cub cadet
ok folks, here is the update on my kohler. it did turn out to be the internal governor gear. the shop initially thought what was to be a 3 hour job turned out to be an 8 hour job. in order to replace the gear and retaining pin, the engine had to be totaly torn down. i guess that was good news for me. he inspected everything and the engine was in good shape. crank shaft was in good shape and all bearings did not show any signs of wear. pistons and rings were good to go also. needless to say, i am very pleased. not bad for over 1100 hours on the meter and me being the second owner. now if i could only find my lift bracket i would be a happy camper!!!

Last edited:
   / 1541 cub cadet
well, the saga continues. after taking possesion of my cub again i was really happy. that is until about 8 hours later. had it out in the yard when i saw smoke coming from under the hood. when i opened it up, i saw oil running all over the place. i could not see where it was coming from but it looked like it was coming from under back heat shield. i shut it down and checked the oil level. did not show on the dip stick. i added a quart and left a message at the repair center. i called again the next morning and the guy did not sound very happy. i believe that there wasn't a good seal between the two engine halfs when he put it back together. he did pick it up that day so now i am waiting. i guess i will call him monday. until then, i can only sit here and watch the grass grow. stay tuned!!

/ 1541 cub cadet
got my cub back. again. shop said that the leak came from the front seal behind the p.t.o. will find out today. have to put mower deck back on and mow the lawn. don't think i will put the grill or the hood back just yet.

/ 1541 cub cadet
it just doesn't seem to end....finally put my deck and nose back on the cub. was a nice afternoon so i decided to mow my overgrown lawn. was just about done when guess what, the engine took off on me again!!. this is going to make a grown man cry. after paying almost $500.00 to have the governor fixed, it looks like it still is not fixed yet. i am afraid that the gear is gone again or it has fallen off. i put a call into the repair shop tonight and will call again in the a.m. very frustrating to say the least. i might have to make a call to kohler, don't know if they can help or not.

/ 1541 cub cadet
just a shot in the dark...does anyone know if there is a conversion to replace the kohler with another brand such as honda? i am starting to loose faith in the kohler. maybe i am just putting the cart before the horse. it is an m18s engine.

/ 1541 cub cadet #10  
Hey Harley,

If you do a search, Fordlords did a replacement with a Honda engine and he's had good things to say about it.

Seems like your dealer should be working with you, since you spent so much on repairs already?

Good Luck,
Curt