Mowing Transmission problem

/ Transmission problem #1  

OhioGuy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1220, Case 245, Cub SZ60, Cub 2284
OK,

This is yet another disappointmet in a 5252 I bought in 2006, I'm guessing this is the death knoll for this tractor.

I'm trying to get some mowing done and I hear a transmision whine and then no drive.
I'm guessing it's the dreaded 5000 series tranny fail. I can see the driveshaft spinning to the tranny, it whines when I depress forward, but no motion, anything I should look for?

Curt

/ Transmission problem #2  
Curt -

Very sorry to hear that. I've owned several 5000 series and currently have a 5234 I've had great luck with thus far....but I've also heard/read the ugly stories.

Have you looked underneath to insure it's not a broken driveline?
One other thing to check, I've had something similar to this happen. Check the linkage on the Hi/Lo shifter, I've seen it stuck out of a range, pin was bent or fell out, won't quite engage. And whined when you tried to move it.

If not, I've heard it's not to bad once you get into the tranny, but time consuming to get there. A full days job.

Good luck and keep us apprised!

/ Transmission problem #3  
Curt -

Any news?

/ Transmission problem
Hey Scoutcub,

I called Sterling Tractor to come pick it up, it's been a week, they told me they were really backed up. I did go through some of the troubleshooting but gave it up when I needed to assemble some test gauges, I just don't have the time right now.

The driveshaft was spinning to the transmission, the hi low shifter appeared to lock/unlock the rearend, I'll post when I hear something.

When they came to pick it up, they already had a 5252 on the truck, I asked what the problem was with that one, he told me the PTO failed.

It occurred to me today part of the repair will be draining and replacing the System Fluid Plus, Ouch. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what's up.

I've been scouring Craigslist, just in case I get really bad news. I'm finding a lot to look at, Tanks, 3000 series, Scags, walk behinds. So in the meantime, the 1872 is getting a workout.

Thanks for asking.
Curt

/ Transmission problem #5  
Hey Scoutcub,

I called Sterling Tractor to come pick it up, it's been a week, they told me they were really backed up. I did go through some of the troubleshooting but gave it up when I needed to assemble some test gauges, I just don't have the time right now.

The driveshaft was spinning to the transmission, the hi low shifter appeared to lock/unlock the rearend, I'll post when I hear something.

When they came to pick it up, they already had a 5252 on the truck, I asked what the problem was with that one, he told me the PTO failed.

It occurred to me today part of the repair will be draining and replacing the System Fluid Plus, Ouch. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what's up.

I've been scouring Craigslist, just in case I get really bad news. I'm finding a lot to look at, Tanks, 3000 series, Scags, walk behinds. So in the meantime, the 1872 is getting a workout.

Thanks for asking.
Curt

Curt -

Well, hope it's good news. Do you have a lot of acreage to mow?
I keep debating whether or not to sell my big tank. I really don't want to sell it, but it doesn't do well on my severe slopes. I will be able to use it in a few years when I build, but why should I keep it sitting around......
Of course, I'm also debating selling my 5234 and 6284.....:confused2:

Let us know how it turns out......

Frank

/ Transmission problem #6  
Of course the worst part is in not knowing. At this time you can only hope for the best while anticipating the worst - not fun, I'm sure. Hopefully the dealer can get you some word soon so that at least you will know where you stand. I figure that your chances of a happy outcome are still far better than playing the lottery.

I'll light a candle for your tractor and ask that others do the same. :thumbsup:

JN

/ Transmission problem #7  
My 5234D trans failed at 400hrs. It cost $2,500 to get it rebuilt. You can buy a new trans for about $1,000. but I didn't know that at the time. The Fluid Plus price is a killer. There has been a lot of discussion before about using Mobile 1 instead of Fluid Plus. That is what I will use in the future when I have to drain it. I'm really down on Cub, I would never buy anything they make after trouble, after trouble with the 5234D. It has been in the shop 6 times in 5 years and I've fixed 4 major problems myself.
Good Luck

/ Transmission problem #8  
My 5234D trans failed at 400hrs. It cost $2,500 to get it rebuilt. You can buy a new trans for about $1,000. but I didn't know that at the time. The Fluid Plus price is a killer. There has been a lot of discussion before about using Mobile 1 instead of Fluid Plus. That is what I will use in the future when I have to drain it. I'm really down on Cub, I would never buy anything they make after trouble, after trouble with the 5234D. It has been in the shop 6 times in 5 years and I've fixed 4 major problems myself.
Good Luck

Where can you get the tranny for 1,000?

/ Transmission problem #9  
If a new hydro unit is available for around $1,000 that would make it basically an R & R operation and just about impossible to justify anything more than the simplest repair to the old unit. Could that price be for a rebuilt unit exchange? While $1,000 for a new unit sounds remarkably cheap it sure would be great news to Cub owners that encounter a hydro failure so I hope MrHiggins comes through with a source.

I think one of the challenges that Cub dealers face is a lack of available service knowledge on these larger hydro units. Though I believe that the model of hydro is different from my model 6284 to the 5000 series I think that they are both manufactured by Sundstrand. I do know that I have never been able to find a Cub shop manual for the hydro in my 6284 (I have not needed it but I like to be prepared). I think this problem extends to issues with the parts supply chain also.

My point is that once the tractor is outside of the manufacturers warranty perhaps it is best to work with a company that really knows hydros and specializes in repairing them. I did a quick Google search and found this place ttp://www.hydrostatic-transmission.com/. I am not endorsing and have no experience with them but they do list Sundstrand under brands they service. From the search I see there are many other companies as well. While I don't know that a company like that would be cheaper than the Cub dealer I do think they would have more knowledge and experience working with hydros in general which might be a good thing.

JN

/ Transmission problem #10  
Where can you get the tranny for 1,000?

If a new hydro unit is available for around $1,000 that would make it basically an R & R operation and just about impossible to justify anything more than the simplest repair to the old unit. Could that price be for a rebuilt unit exchange? While $1,000 for a new unit sounds remarkably cheap it sure would be great news to Cub owners that encounter a hydro failure so I hope MrHiggins comes through with a source.
JN

The source for the transmission is m-and-d.com The 5234DE uses the Hydro-gear BDU-21L-400. The price is actually $815.46 plus shipping. As far as I know it is a new one. I really haven't checked into it, just saw it while looking at other things, since mine is running at the moment, don't know for how long....
If anyone has a similar tractor be sure to check your Hydrolic line routing near the 3-point lift and 4-wheel engagement levers. The lever rubbed the line until it wore a hole in it, on the back side of the line so you can't see it, you have to feel for it, and I lost most of my fluid while roto-tilling. I re-routed it to clear the levers when I replaced it. Two years later the trans failed. That may have contributed to the failure....??

Last edited: