Platinum Member

Default 3235 PTO Belt Replacement

I was unable to find very much info about replacing the PTO belts so I'm posting my experience today replacing the matching pair of belts. I imagine all 3000 series & perhaps others are similar. My belts were glazed and cracked with 1 belt having a deep crack. The mower seemed slow to come up to speed & sounded like it bogged down at times.
    I removed the side panels but NOT the hood or grille. I removed the sheet metal shroud, mounted between the engine & the grille, by 4 cap screws. I loosened the 2 large studs, below the large pulley, enough to allow the belts to slip between the pulley & studs. They are there solely to prevent the belts from jumping off the pulley. I removed the upper belt retaining bracket, held on by 2 cap screws. I unhooked the upper end of the spring on the PTO engagement arm. The belts can now be worked off the pulleys & slid between the PTO brake & pulley, front belt first & then the inner belt. Reverse the procedure for installation. The entire job can be done in an hour. My belts were original & 7 years old with 376 hours.

Bob B.

Tractor
    MF 261, JD790

Default Re: 3235 PTO Belt Replacement

Works for cub cadet 3186 as well. Thanks, this was very helpful!

Platinum Member

An update to the belt replacement. I don't know if the replacement belts I bought on eBay were of poor quality but they only lasted 25 hours. I replaced them again but this time was able to do it by only removing the tension spring and loosening the 2 belt retainer studs. By laying on the ground under the front of the tractor I was able to bends the retainer brackets enough to slip the belts off and on.

Bob B.

Tractor
    MF 261, JD790

I bent the belt retainers too. I've just ordered belts from v-belt supply and waiting for them to come. here is a link. with shipping about $8 each for 4. hopefully the kevlar will last. 4LK400 Kevlar V-Belt

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by petefitz View Post
    I bent the belt retainers too. I've just ordered belts from v-belt supply and waiting for them to come. here is a link. with shipping about $8 each for 4. hopefully the kevlar will last. 4LK400 Kevlar V-Belt
    Wow, $5.40 ea, that's really cheap. I paid $27.64 for a pair of belts on eBay. I think the Cub dealer wanted $45 for the pair. Let us know how they work out.

Bob B.

Tractor
    MF 261, JD790

of course the belts didnt fit. Off to the Cub dealer to get the right ones...i'll never learn.

Platinum Member

I won't order those belts then.

Bob B.

Tractor
    MF 261, JD790

got the new belts and put them on, no problems, runs great. hope they last!

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 3235

Thanks for your post. I have little mechanical ability but was able to follow your instructions and change the belts in about an hour.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomwarby View Post
    Thanks for your post. I have little mechanical ability but was able to follow your instructions and change the belts in about an hour.
    Glad it helped. My belts are still going strong. In 9 years of use I've changed the 54 inch mower belt once and the PTO belts twice because the second set were apparently inferior. I still have the original battery and just started hooking up a Battery Tender last winter to keep it charged over the winter. When it finally goes it will probably just die completely.

Bob B.