FEL float postion

/ FEL float postion #1  

NHSawyer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet/Yanmar LX410
Hi Folks,
I have yet another question. I have been using the LX to plow snow and I cannot get the FEL into the float mode.
I have never had a tractor with this option as I have had older machines so I am not completely sure how float mode is defined. Does the float position mean that the FEL arms actually have the ability to move up and down with the changes as the plow moves over the ups and downs of the ground?
The manual shows float position to be forward of the lower postion on the FEL stick. I have moved the stick all the way forward and all it does is lift the front of the machine. I have tried to "feel" if there is a need to press down on the stick or find something else at the most forward movement of the stick.

Anythig anyone could say on this would be appreciated. Am I the only one who finds the manual for these machines a bit lacking?

NHSawyer

/ FEL float postion #2  
If you are sure it has float mode, then there is a detent that you have to get past. Sometimes it is hard at first, and after use, it becomes easier.

The lever should snap in place and lock.

Also, sometimes the detent section gets water in that area of the spool. The detent is under the caps with two screws.

You might remove inspect, clean and lube for better operation, if all else fails.

Be careful of the balls and sp rings under the cap. A manual would help or a parts breakdown. .

/ FEL float postion #3  
yes, when you float it, it will move up and down with the countours of the ground.
On our ex2900, it's floated by pushing the stick forward abruptly. you'll feel it click into position. try raising your bucket and then pushing the stick forward so the bucket starts downward. then quickly push forward more in a sharp motion and it should click in. the bucket will then float down and land softly on the ground. to take it out of float mode, just pull the stick backward like normal.

/ FEL float postion #4  
You need to sharply push your control forward. The stick will reach its max forward position then it will click or pop forward into a locked position and will disengage the hydraulics and float the bucket. If you are lifting the front end of the machine you have not pushed your control forward enough. If you have trouble drop the bucket, shut off the machine then push forward on the control and you will feel it disengage.

Can't believe the dealer didn稚 show you this, assuming you bought it new.

/ FEL float postion #5  
Sawyer, you are soooo gonna love the float. I use it all the time to grade the gravel driveway with the bucket

/ FEL float postion #6  
With what all the others said, float means the loader will rest on the ground with no downward pressure exsept for the weight of the loader on the ground, it will not raise and lower itself, it just follows the contures of the ground. You will also be in float mode when the joy stick lever stays in the forward position, after the sharply snapped foreward movement of the joystick.
david

/ FEL float postion #7  
P.S. try and practice, with the tractor off, sit in the seat and feel the foreward movement of the joy stick, you should be able to feel the detent of the float mode area on the joystick, thats how I found the float mode on my first tractor. And I leared that right here on this site. I didn't even know I had a float mode till I spent time reading here.
david

/ FEL float postion
Thanks to everyone for their input.

I will try it first with the machine shut off to get a feel for it and do it with the machine running.

Float will be great with the snow plow.

Yes I bought the machine new and the dealer didn't show me anything about it. I read the manual and went from there. As I said I have the manual lacking for somethings.

/ FEL float postion #9  
Yes, the Lx definitely has float mode... Push it forward hard enough, you'll get it. Good idea to try it with the tractor off, you'll definitely feel it snap into the float detent.

/ FEL float postion
Well I scraped the snow yesterday. First off the LX started at 19 degrees so that was good.
Before starting it I tried putting it into float position and immediately got a feel for it.
Then while moving snow I used the float position. It's easy once you know where it is.
The float position worked good for most of the snow removal but in some cases where a rock stuck up a bit it had a hard time sliding over the rock. I suspect the weight of the plow, push frame, and loader arms makes it a problem.

Thanks to everyone who provided information. This forum is great place to get knowledge.