which cub to buy 123 or 782?

/ which cub to buy 123 or 782? #1  

flyweed

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2544 & LX1050
Hey guys

Locally I have a couple really nice Cubs for sale...both are IH models..one is the Cub 123 and the other is the Cub Cadet 782...the 123 does NOT come with any attachments at all, just the tractor.

Anyway, for tilling, snowmoving, etc which one would you guys choose, and if you can tell me the pluses and minuses of each I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time

Dan

/ which cub to buy 123 or 782? #2  
The 782 is about 15 years newer than the 123 and has 17 HP, I believe. I'm not sure about the 123 HP but I'm sure it's lower. Besides the 15 year difference I'd look at the total hours and condition of the tractors. I think the 123 had a starter/generator whereas the 782 has an alternator. I'm not real familiar with either one so perhaps someone else will add to or correct my statements.

Bob B.

/ which cub to buy 123 or 782? #3  
These are two different animals.

The 123 is a narrow series model before Cub Cadet introduced the side panels, and iso engine mounts. It probably has a single cylinder cast iron kohler K series engine. It's a fairly early model in the product line.

The 782 is near the end of the International Cub Cadet product line after they had introduced the wide frame, side panels and iso engine mounts. It also used a twin cylinder engine.

The general issues with all Cub cadets are the worm gear in the steering loosens up and may need adjusting. The hydro linkages also wear and can cause the speed to vary. The 123 had a starter/generator, but the 782 will probably have an alternator circuit with a separate starter. Usually, the transmissions hold up, but the engines wear out. Those rubber iso mounts also wear out, and when they do, the oil pan starts rubbing on the frame rails sometimes wearing a hole through the oil pan. It can also mess up the engine mounting rails.

Parts should be available. I think there is a replacement engine kit for the 782 from one of the on line small engine sellers, and one of the guys here has either installed that kit on a 782 or maybe the 982, I forget which one. The old Kohler K series on the 123 are not to be had except used to my knowledge.

One of the guys bought a 782 and it is discussed some here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-international-harvester-cub-cadet-782-a.html

Hope this helps. But these are really two different machines if you start studying them.

/ which cub to buy 123 or 782?
I realise they are 2 seperate beasts...I guess my main concern is which one is more versatile? Do you know if they can both push snow with a blade? do either have hydraulic front and rear lift? I'd love to be able to mount a blade on front during winter, and maybe a tiller on back for gardening..and be able to hydrauliclly lift them..rather than manually life them.

Which one would have a heavy duty rear end? or is one better suited for hilly yardwork than the other?

Dan

/ which cub to buy 123 or 782? #5  
The rear ends are to my knowledge the same. My problem with the International Cub Cadet line is they tend to run out of traction before they run out of power. You can put rear wheel weights and tire chains on them to help with this.

I can't remember what lift system is on the 123. Some of the older machines were either manual or electric. Not sure about the 123.

The 782 probably has the hydraulic circuit for a rear lift, but you need to be sure the mechanical part of the lift system is present. Cub Cadet sold the mechanical part as an option. If the parts are not there, you can spend quite a bit getting them.

If you start pricing front blades, rear mounted tillers, and lift assemblies for each of these machines, you may be in for a shock. The belt for the rear mounted tiller is a pricey item by itself.

And the 123 will use one of the older mechanical PTO clutches. The 782 probably has an electric clutch. You need to be sure the clutch works because this is also a pricey item.

From what I understand, the 123 was the first Cub Cadet Hydro.

Further information available here: http://www.ihcubcadet.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.pl?pg=topics

Last edited: