Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member Little Red Tractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 6284

Default mower keeps throwing the belt

I recently got a Cub Cadet 6824, and before mowing I replaced the spindle belt as the one on it was a bit chewed up. About 1000 feet into my first mowing of the year, it threw the belt. I reset it, and it did it again, again and again...and once more for good measure. All that in about an acre and a quarter.
    The only thing that seemed to keep it on, finally, was running the engine just under the "green" range--about 2800 rpms or so.

The spindles appear tight and have been freshly serviced, The gearbox is tight to the mounting. I noticed that the pivot point point of the idler arm seems to be a bit wobbly, but that's about all I can find.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: mower keeps throwing the belt

It's been a long time ago that I had a Cub Cadet doing that (late '90s). And it was simply pulley alignment. Once I figured out which pulley and got them all aligned properly, no more problem. I'm guessing you found your problem with that idler arm.
    Bird

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L235

I'm not familiar with your setup, but I'm guessing that your drive pulley is on a horizontal shaft and your mower pulleys are on a vertical spindle. Thus the belt needs to make a 90 deg turn. Check the type of belt you are using. The automotive belts I believe are an "A" type belt and do not make that 90 deg turn without rolling over. You will probably need something like a "B" belt or wider. (If the other suggestions don't fix it.)

Conventional V-Belts - Belts Sizes A - B - C - D - E Section Belts
    Kubota L235
    John Deere 5055E

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 6284

Quote Originally Posted by TRR View Post
    I'm not familiar with your setup, but I'm guessing that your drive pulley is on a horizontal shaft and your mower pulleys are on a vertical spindle. Thus the belt needs to make a 90 deg turn. Check the type of belt you are using. The automotive belts I believe are an "A" type belt and do not make that 90 deg turn without rolling over. You will probably need something like a "B" belt or wider. (If the other suggestions don't fix it.)

Conventional V-Belts - Belts Sizes A - B - C - D - E Section Belts
    Thanks TRR, but it's not the setup you're thinking of. It's a PTO driven deck, and I'm using the OEM part, so it's not an improper belt issue in any way.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Had a similar experience with a Cub Zero Turn mower and it was a bad bearing in the idler pulley. Not sure of your set up but might check there.

MarkV

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Check for horizontal pulley alignment as well. Meaning the pulleys should be all be at the same elevation from the deck. Also check that they are all plumb, so each spindle is "square" to the deck plane. Thirdly, check each pulley running surface for wear, pulleys do wear out. How many hours??

Did you run it with the old belt? Although you stated its an OEM belt, counter parts people do make mistakes sometimes.
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Bronze Member

This was a known issue with the belts coming off, the fix was to add a pulley
    I will take a picture of mine tomorrow to show you where the extra was placed.

My belt never comes off anymore.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 6284

Quote Originally Posted by yelbike View Post
    Check for horizontal pulley alignment as well. Meaning the pulleys should be all be at the same elevation from the deck. Also check that they are all plumb, so each spindle is "square" to the deck plane. Thirdly, check each pulley running surface for wear, pulleys do wear out. How many hours??

Did you run it with the old belt? Although you stated its an OEM belt, counter parts people do make mistakes sometimes.
    I never ran with the old belt. It had a couple cuts, so I replaced it when I had the deck off the tractor to sharpen the blades.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 6284

Quote Originally Posted by scoops View Post
    This was a known issue with the belts coming off, the fix was to add a pulley
    I will take a picture of mine tomorrow to show you where the extra was placed.

My belt never comes off anymore.
    Looking forward to the picture!

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

Only a suggestion.

I had trouble with a mower that was throwing the belt... that is why I got it for next to nothing.

Putting a Gator Back Premium belt solved the problem...

Guess not all belts are created equal... the notched design allows for greater variance.

May or may not be applicable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast