Kohler command ticking?

/ Kohler command ticking? #1  

Mlibertini

Tractor
Cub Cadet 3235
Have a cub 3235 with a 25 HP kohler command. Recently I have noticed a ticking from the motor especially when at 1/2 throttle or less. Possibly a lifter or valve noise? What's the difference? What can I do? Mechanically inclined but not so comfortable messing with internal engine components. Someone suggested mystery oil for stuck valve. Not sure what to do.

/ Kohler command ticking? #2  
Kohlers have a reputation of having a problem with head gaskets. A leaking head gasket will make a ticking sounding noise. With the engine running slowly feel around the head area and see if you detect hot air.

/ Kohler command ticking? #3  
If one of the hydraulic lifters has not turned it will wear a groove in the bottom where it touches the camshaft, causing a tapping noise.

/ Kohler command ticking? #5  
The Kohler Command 25 in my 3235 blew a head gasket but made more than what I would call a "ticking" sound. I first thought I had blown a valve and it was firing through the exhaust. It blew a 1 inch piece out of the gasket. I believe the heads were never torqued properly during manufacture. Some of the head bolts were barely more than snug. I used some fine grit emery cloth, on a flat surface, to clean up the head surface and checked with a straight edge for warpage. The head gasket kit included new head bolts which I torqued initially and then ran the engine up to temperature and retorqued the bolts again. I've had no further problems.

Bob B.