frozen brake saftey switch

/ frozen brake saftey switch #1  

dslanec

Silver Member
Tractor
CUB/YANMAR SX 3100
I recently went to start my 2400 to do some plowing. The engine wouldn't turn over. Glow plugs and lights all worked it just wouldn't turn over. It was like the brake wasn't pushed in. I searched for the saftey switch but couldn't find it so I called my dealer. They stated there was a bulletin out that said snow and ice forms in the switch and freezes so the pin inside the switch gets stuck. Once they told me where it was I simply used my wife's hair dryer and had it running in 2 minutes. They have a new switch ordered for me. Just a heads up if anyone runs into this problem.

/ frozen brake saftey switch
Under the floorboard that the brake is on. It is as round as a quarter and there is a rubber boot covering it. When the brake is off it pushes the switch in and when the brake is on it releases it.

/ frozen brake saftey switch #4  
My dealer mentioned this while shooting the bull a few years ago.
I haven't experienced this myself, but couold see how it could happen, especially if you power wash it.

/ frozen brake saftey switch #5  
I spray the crap out of mine the rubber boots crack in the cold then let water drip down
have replace a couple times now I just spray the crap out of it with a silicone water repelling areosal every couple times I use it when I grease the blower