Cub cadet 7205 won't start

/ Cub cadet 7205 won't start #1  

leelundy

Tractor
Cub cadet 7205
Nothing happens when I turn the key. The glow plug indicator or battery light doesn't come on. If I leave the key to the on position sometimes the lights will come on but when I turn it nothing happens. Replaced battery, check fuses and 50/60 fuses. Checked battery cables and for shorts but found nothing. It was running great last weekend. Any ideas?

/ Cub cadet 7205 won't start #2  
Wow! We recently purchased a 7205 and have the same exact problem. We tested the battery (it was good) and checked the fuses. When we reconnected the battery, it fired right off. I'm guessing it may be the solenoid. Am looking forward to seeing what other recommend!

/ Cub cadet 7205 won't start
Well... I had my bro-in-law come over Sunday and check it out(he's a mechanic). I had checked every fuse and safety device. I had 12V at the ignition but as soon as I turned it it dropped to nothing! I had check the ground and just knew I had a short somewhere. My bro-in-law found the the positive cable on my battery wasn't making good connection. We cleaned the battery post and cable and it worked fine. I'm sure I'll never live this one down!!! Needless to say next time I'm starting with the connections at the battery.

/ Cub cadet 7205 won't start #4  
Well... I had my bro-in-law come over Sunday and check it out(he's a mechanic). I had checked every fuse and safety device. I had 12V at the ignition but as soon as I turned it it dropped to nothing! I had check the ground and just knew I had a short somewhere. My bro-in-law found the the positive cable on my battery wasn't making good connection. We cleaned the battery post and cable and it worked fine. I'm sure I'll never live this one down!!! Needless to say next time I'm starting with the connections at the battery.

Glad you found it was something simple, but I'm still a little skeptical. I had cleaned and greased the battery terminals on my machine, and it still is tempermental. Sometimes it starts like it should, but other times it's completely dead.

If you find that the tractor does it again, please let us know.

/ Cub cadet 7205 won't start #5  
Good to hear you got it ruuning:thumbsup:. Its always easy to start with the basics and get those out of the way no matter how simple it may be.
Mooretw, did you check your grounding connections on the machine making sure clean and good and follow your wires to see if they might have any cuts in them? Some times its just a matter of moving a wire around to make or break a connection and those are the hard ones to find.

/ Cub cadet 7205 won't start #6  
Thanks for the advice. I am planning to follow the ground and hot wires all the way through just to be sure. Seems like a good evening to spend in the shop!

/ Cub cadet 7205 won't start #7  
Also check the small wire slip on connection going to the starter syl. . Sometimes on my Cub tractor ,this is a little loose. I unplug it and plug it back in and the tractor will start. NealK New Member

/ Cub cadet 7205 won't start #8  
The Cub 7000 Series have a problem with starting. My 7272 would sometimes start and sometimes not. I did find out though that if your lights are coming on dim or not at all, replace your battery cables. They will corrode down inside where you can see it and if it doesn't get full voltage at starting, it won't start.

Also, if you have a problem with the starter just clicking, there are a couple of schematics floating around as to how to fix the problem by wiring in a relay and coming directly off of the battery. One of the member on here sent me the schematic so I decided to tear into it one day. After taking the dash all apart, I found a hidden button the previous owner had wired in. He used his toe to push it in. Anyways, I went to Advance Auto and bought a waterproof pushbutton. I mounted it right above the ignition switch. Using #10 wire, I ran a wire from the battery side of the starter to the switch, then back down to the solenoid. No relays at all. So now all I do is turn the key to the on position, push the button, and it starts every single time. Using the pushbutton is no different than jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver like the old days.

/ Cub cadet 7205 won't start #9  
I have a Cub Cadet 7272 (Mitsubishi diesel) and it has the same symptoms. I got a new battery, and it started a few times, but when setting, I have to wait until the weather is warmer or congruent with the machines wishes. The repair shop is so expensive that I thought I would let you know that you are not alone. My engine is a Mitsubshi Diesel, and my glow plug light does come on. Send me any info you find. A new starter OEM front starter assembly is $950.00 and I just wonder if Cub had trouble with the 7000 series? I am the second owner, and I know why it was sold. Any suggestions?