Extremely Hot Exaust

/ Extremely Hot Exaust #1  

John Boratyn

Tractor
Cub Cadet 5252
I just purchased a used Cub 5252 and the muffler is getting extremely hot. It also backfires when I shut it off. Can anyone give me an idea what the problem is?

/ Extremely Hot Exaust #2  
Is this gas powered? If so, sound like it is getting way to much fuel. With the fuel now days its hard on carbs. Could be just carb needs adjusting or maybe a rebuild.

/ Extremely Hot Exaust #3  
I would suspect just the opposite ,lean engines run hot, rich engines run cool- and smoke and sputter.

Running very lean, it backfires at shutdown because even though the spark is shut off the cylinder is still hot enough to fire the fuel it gets while winding down. Working the tractor hard in this condition could result in melting a hole in the top of one or both pistons. The carb needs pulled and soaked in the bucket style carb cleaner and probably a carb kit as well. Don't soak any rubber or plastic parts , real carb cleaner is wicked stuff, available at NAPA , already has a strainer in the bucket.

Ray

/ Extremely Hot Exaust #4  
ptg may very well be correct, look on the bright side we both suggest the same fix.:laughing:

/ Extremely Hot Exaust #5  
Start putting premium in the tank and it will likely cure it.

/ Extremely Hot Exaust #6  
My Kohler Command 25 hp backfires when shutting off and one recommendation in the manual that works for me is to use wide-open throttle. What I do is run it at fast idle and just as I turn off the ignition switch I push the throttle full open. Works every time. I had the same problem with an old 1450.

Bob B.

/ Extremely Hot Exaust #7  
My Kohler Command 25 hp backfires when shutting off and one recommendation in the manual that works for me is to use wide-open throttle. What I do is run it at fast idle and just as I turn off the ignition switch I push the throttle full open. Works every time. I had the same problem with an old 1450.

Bob B.

+1....