Cub Cadet 582.. Ok for regular mowing?

/ Cub Cadet 582.. Ok for regular mowing? #1  

MoPops

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225, John Deere X540
Don't know much about these old lawn tractors. This one has a 42" deck.
Buddy of mine put a new (used) engine in it, and a rebuilt starter. He says everything else is ok.
My question is, can a tractor this old handle weekly mowing? Not a huge yard, will take 90 min or so.
I don't want something I can't depend on. I realize it's all in how well it's been taken care of, abuse, etc..
But, if it's in decent shape, the price is pretty good.
Anything I need to look out for? Can you still get parts?
Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• image-1169113763.jpg
    image-1169113763.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 2,300
   / Cub Cadet 582.. Ok for regular mowing? #2  
With proper care these old mowers can last forever. The picture looks like it's in excellent shape. How many hours are on it? I used my old 1450 for 26 years and went through 2 mower deck shells. It had 1200 hours on the single cylinder Kohler engine. Most parts are still available new and if you can't find a part someone usually has one somewhere. Good luck,

Bob B.

/ Cub Cadet 582.. Ok for regular mowing?
With proper care these old mowers can last forever. The picture looks like it's in excellent shape. How many hours are on it? I used my old 1450 for 26 years and went through 2 mower deck shells. It had 1200 hours on the single cylinder Kohler engine. Most parts are still available new and if you can't find a part someone usually has one somewhere. Good luck, Bob B.
Thanks Bob,
I checked the serial number out, it looks like it was one of the last few 582s made. I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow. I have doubts that the hr meter is functioning, but it will see. If it seems solid, and appears well cared for I'm going to take it to the farm.
I'm just a weekend farmer, with not a lot of time. I like to hunt and fish, so when I get up there, I want something I can jump on, and get the job done.
Thanks
Jeff

Well, I went over to pick up the Cub Cadet yesterday, it wasn't as advertised.
They had replaced the original motor with one from another small tractor. It was smoking pretty bad, and a few other issues concerned me.
Guess I'm not going to be a Cub Cadet guy after all.

/ Cub Cadet 582.. Ok for regular mowing? #5  
Sorry to hear that. It sure looked good in the picture (I assume that was the tractor).

Bob B.

Sorry to hear that. It sure looked good in the picture (I assume that was the tractor). Bob B.

Yes. The pic looked good. They had replaced the motor with one from a different tractor. They jerry rigged the connections, and it ran pretty rough. Plus the new (used) motor put out a lot of smoke.

I ended up finding a big craftsman rider with a 20hp twin & 50" cut. Hopefully I can get a lot of years out of it.