7235 Help

/ 7235 Help #1  

dogpatch06

Bronze Member
Tractor
1997 Cub Cadet 7235 / IH (Sold) Dresser TD7-E/Cabela's LM55HC Turbo, Yamaha 660 Grizzly
I have a recent purchase 7235, 3 cyl diesel 4x4 Hydrostatic Drive with FEL. I just had it service with a Hydraulic Oil change with filter(s). The tractor has 1258 hrs, only 8 are mine. Engine oil was just changed along with a new fuel filter.

Today the tractor died. It ran for about and hour, then crapped out. The tractor needed to be jumped today in order to start it, which was the first time since I have owned it. It sat parked for just all of May and fired up after a month of sitting. Today, after running last weekend, stored inside, it wouldn't start. Jumped it, and it fired right up.

Moved some gravel around for about 45 min then went down a hill?retty steep. I came back up with a load in low, about 1800 RPM, and then it just sounded like it was lugging, lost RPM and stalled. Started and ran for about 20 seconds and died I needed to jump it again and then it did the same thing Hydro oil was low, and I added more? jumped again, ran 30 seconds?ut under load and stalled. No odd smoke or smell. Then she wouldn't even turn over with any speed even with a jump? I parked it in the road, on a grade and had to leave. :confused:

My dozer is down and my truck was 2 hours away, so I couldn't even tow it to the barn.

Any ideas????

Engine oil is new and full.

Hydro Oil was just changed, but low and I added a bit more.

Fuel is fresh and clear.

Battery condition is questionable from the previous owner.

Thanks.

/ 7235 Help
Engine oil was just changed along with a new fuel filter. It ran for about an hour so if there was an issue with air from that change it would have been noticed before this…..right?

/ 7235 Help
Would it have run for over an hour AFTER the fuel filter was replaced before this happened. I would have thought if it was air in the system it would have shown up right away…..

/ 7235 Help #6  
Start with a new battery because if i had to keep jumping it along with it not running right that would drive me nuts. Sounds like its starving for fuel. Partially blocked line? crap in the tank ? Did you take your new fuel filter back off to see if it was full of junk? Is your fuel bowl clear so you could see if its full of fuel?Maybe water in the tank? Not sure how your set up is but are you able to drain any water that may have collected from the bottom of the fuel bowl or tank?
Seeing how it sounds like you just got this unit. Was it sitting for a long period of time that maybe the fuel is bad. How does the air filter look? Clogged? The thing i like about diesels is they pretty much just keep running as long as they have Fuel,Air,and compression. Wouldn't hurt to look for broken or partially broken even loose wires. I am not a mechanic by any means but i do always try the basics before i have to call someone. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will help you out soon !!!:drink:

/ 7235 Help #7  
That sounds about like what my Sc2400 was doing. At first I didn't know what it was but after the second or third time of running rough and then shutting off, I pulled the fuel line coming off the tank and noticed there was no fuel coming out. I stuck a piece of wire in there and fuel started flowing again. Hooked up the fuel line again and the tractor ran fine. Sometimes it has no problem running and sometimes I'll have to do this 4 times in an hour. So I know there's something in the bottom of the tank stopping the fuel. It tends to run this way when the fuel level is below half a tank.

/ 7235 Help
Thanks for all the advise. I head up to the land this weekend with a new battery and will purge the fuel system and see what happens. Fingers cross like a politician.

/ 7235 Help #9  
My Kubota once had a floating clod of goo in the fuel tank that would suck down onto the fuel tank outlet and starve the engine. Caused symptoms like you describe. Sorta like out of fuel, but not really, and would run fine most of the time. Was worst when fuel level in tank was low. Just like gtrippleb. I figured I would have to remove the tank to get it out, but first I tried siphoning out all I could, then removed the tank outlet hose and blew a little pressure into the tank. Out came the goo! I rinsed with a bit of fresh fuel, hooked everything back up and it's been good since. Good luck with yours.

- Jay

/ 7235 Help
I think she is deceased. I put a new battery and bled the fuel system to include the filter, tank and injector pump. Listen and I think one cylinder is down.