Wen it rains it pours.. 721-0495 oil seal needs replaced.

/ Wen it rains it pours.. 721-0495 oil seal needs replaced. #1  

scoops

Bronze Member
Well,

So I got the front axle fixed, and the tachometer fixed, only to discover I now have a rear axle oil seal leak.
As my tractor was waiting for parts, I thought it was rain water by the rear wheel, I didn't think twice about it as it's been raining..come to find out the drivers side rear axle is leaking.

This one is my fault though, I was brush hogging a few weeks back very high grass, and it wound up on the axle, so much so that it got under the oil seal and trashed it.

So now ordering part # 721-0495 and preparing to replace it.
I had to drain the oil as it was dripping pretty bad.

I'll document the fix.

Well I ordered the new seal, and looked at the repair manual for the 7000 and 5000 series, and it looks like a rather simple fix, we'll see

Last edited:
   / Wen it rains it pours.. 721-0495 oil seal needs replaced.
Well, the shaft and bearing is not coming out. I even made a make shift puller, and was getting on it pretty hard, it didnt even move.
So this leads me to believe that there is a retaining clip on the inside of the axle, and the housing must be taken apart to get to it.

My 7000 manual doesn't even show the rear axle, does yours? The one I have for the 5000 shows it to be as easy as removing the oil seal, and retaining clip on the outside, then it is suppose to
slide out.

The online parts lookup show a retaining clip, so I guess thats where I am going next.

/ Wen it rains it pours.. 721-0495 oil seal needs replaced. #3  
You could make some money by creating ur own version of a 6000 series service manual! :eek:

I have a rear tranny leak on my 7532 that I've been putting off....where I bolted in the subframe carriage to the tranny housing....guess I need to tackle that when I get home. :(

Sorry you're having wrench time instead of seat time!

I'll get there scout.
It was just as I suspected, a retaining ring on the inside.
Here are some pics.
Getting ready to seal it back up soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 147
Got it all put back together and fluids in, and took her for a 1 hour session , so far no leaks!!!
It sat overnight, no leaks!

So here is the procedure.
remove tire
drain fluid.
Remove 3 bolts holding the 3pt at the axle housing
remove brake rod from axle housing by removing clip and sliding off, then tie this out of the way so you can remove axle housing.
remove 2 bolts that hold diff lock to housing.
remove 12 bolts (16mm) that hold axle housing. (be very careful as the housing is very heavy and will start to come off when all bolts removed)
carefully remove axle housing with axle inside. place on clean surface
Remove oil seal, and then remove large retaining ring on the outside (note you can also do this step while still on tractor)
remove inside clip, be careful as the gear will come off when you slide the axle out)
slide out axle.
take off old seal, slide on new seal.
reverse process to re-install.
Makes sure you clean the old sealant off very good on both surfaces before reapplying new sealant. I went with permatex black , had high oil resistance.

As I think about this more, I don't believe you would have to remove the larger outside retaining clip at all, as the axle should just slide out, I think that clip is to hold the bearing in, which unless you aren't changing the bearing, why bother. It will save you a huge hassle if you don't have to remove that outside clip.

Last edited:
   / Wen it rains it pours.. 721-0495 oil seal needs replaced. #6  
Great pics and documentation! Hope you can knock down some hours now!

Do you have a mmm on your tractor?

Scout,

Yes I have a MMM. Love it, cuts so nice.
I also have a cab,loader, and a snowblower, if I didn't have all the attachments, I'd sell it and get a kubota.