Picked up a Cub Cadet HDS 3185 - Needs Work

/ Picked up a Cub Cadet HDS 3185 - Needs Work #1  

DKCDKC

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E
A neighbor just gave me a 1998 or 99 Cub Cadet HDS 3185 to get it out of his storage building. It's got about 400 hours on it and has been sitting in his enclosed shed for about 3 years. He said it stopped running and a CC mechanic told him it needed some part attached to the transmission. I took it as a project because (1) its a lot heaver than my existing Craftsman mower and I could use that cutting beside my driveway and (2) it's heavy and - if I can't fix it - I can get some money for it as parts or junk.

I've located manuals and parts lists online and will start on it today. I intend to start by charging the battery, putting in fresh gas and tweaking the engine to see if I can get it running. Once I have it running I'll try to drop the mower and look at the transmission. If I can fix anything cheaply, I'll do it. And, when it's running and working, I'll do a full tuneup with oil and filter changes, etc. If not... Off to the junkyard.

But I'd really like to get it working. It is a heavy, apparently commercial grade unit and would be helpful. And the price was right.

/ Picked up a Cub Cadet HDS 3185 - Needs Work
My freebie 3185 isn't purring like a kitten, but it is running. I jacked it off the floor and tested the transmission and hydraulics. After some fiddling around - mostly to do with 3 years of not running - all seems to work well. The transmission was over filled, but I fixed that. I believe the hydro filter is new, so the overfill probably hasn't hurt anything. I've ordered filters and two tires. Thursday I'll mount the tires and pull it out into the daylight again. I'll powerwash the thing so I can really see what it looks like, then complete a tuneup and try to use it. I'm hopeful that all it needed was a solenoid, a tuneup and some TLC. I may have just scored a strong little tractor with a lot of life left.

/ Picked up a Cub Cadet HDS 3185 - Needs Work
My freebie 3185 engine runs well, but the actuator doesn't activate the PTO... Not sure if it's the switch or what. Will start testing tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about a metallic sound when the thing is running that may not come from the engine. The problem is I don't know how the 3185 is supposed to sound. Going to call a guy who once worked on CC equipment and have him over for a listen.