Club Cadet 1250 Starter won't engage flywheel

/ Club Cadet 1250 Starter won't engage flywheel #1  

Synthbent715

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1045 / Bolens 15hp
Hey guys,

This problem is actually happening to my Boss, but I fell kind of responsible to help since he sold he his Bolens mower for super cheap because he had this Cub Cadet.

Anyways, he said when he tries to start it, the starter engages and the Bendix rises up, but when it hits the flywheel, the Bendix gear stops spinning as if its just slipping on the shaft. Any idea what might be happening here? I can ask him for more details if needed.

Thanks!

/ Club Cadet 1250 Starter won't engage flywheel #2  
   / Club Cadet 1250 Starter won't engage flywheel #3  
Hey guys,

This problem is actually happening to my Boss, but I fell kind of responsible to help since he sold he his Bolens mower for super cheap because he had this Cub Cadet.

Anyways, he said when he tries to start it, the starter engages and the Bendix rises up, but when it hits the flywheel, the Bendix gear stops spinning as if its just slipping on the shaft. Any idea what might be happening here? I can ask him for more details if needed.

Thanks!

IF the engine is original, it should be a single cylinder 12 HP Kohler engine - 301 AQS. I'd first check to make sure the starter is bolted securely to the block. If it is, then unbolt the starter - two bolts and remove the starter cable. This is of course after taking the negative cable off the battery. Inspect the flywheel and the bendix. The bendix is similar to an automobile starter's bendix and may have become too worn to work properly.

It's an easy replacement for the bendix and they are available new. I don't recall the price as I purchased mine back around 2010, so prices have changed since then. Hopefully it the flywheel isn't chewed up.

If so, that's another mess in itself.