Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01

/ Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01 #1  

GWKOESTERS

Tractor
CUB CADET XT1
Just changed the oil on my new Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro series rider. The Kohler oil filter that came from the factory was a "Kohler Pro Performance" # 12 050 01 3" x 3". The replacements being sold in the store are Kohler, but do NOT say "pro performance", the # is 12 050 01 S1, & it's shorter by nearly 1/2". I cannot seem to find the Kohler "Pro Performance filters for sale anywhere on the web. Does anyone know where they are available or any equiv. by a different mfg? I just like the idea of having the longer filter installed. Thanks.

/ Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01 #2  
Well, I'm only a month and a half late to this party......better late than never, or so I've heard.

My old 2005 LT1050 calls for the Kohler 12-050-01-S filter. I did first oil change on this mower back on 10/8/05, and purchased the Kohler filter from the same place I bought the mower. The $9.50 or so price, left a real bad taste in my mouth.....as a result I never went back there. I did a bit of googling....and came up with a Purolator L-10241.....available at Wallyworld for like $3.27. That is the only brand I have run since.....mower still runs great, I change the oil twice a year, but the filter only once. About 100 hours of mowing a year.....engine now has 1,110 hours of run time.

With the Purolator number, you can cross ref. to any brand you like, but don't know if you'll beat the price. Check this link for specs and other brands....

OilFilterData.com - Specifications for Purolator L10241

Last edited:
   / Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01 #3  
The manual for the Kohler engine on my Toro ZTR naturally says to "Always use a genuine Kohler oil filter." Then it lists two part numbers and I've found nothing to tell me when or why one would be preferred to the other. But my Toro dealer, from whom I bought the mower, has always sold me the 12 050 01 (two and one half inches long). The other part number is 52 050 02 (three and three eights inches long). Three years ago, he charged $10.40, then a year or so later went up to $11.20 for the filters. But last week, I went to get a new filter too early in the morning for my dealer to be open, so I stopped at Lowe's and they had the 52 050 02 filter (don't remember how much), so I went across the street to Home Depot and got the 12 050 01 for $12.58 plus $1.04 sales tax ($13.62).

I always change both oil & filter at the same time. The manual says to change every 100 hours or once a year. I had been doing it a lot sooner, but this time it had been almost exactly one year. However, I only put 29.3 hours on it in that year.

/ Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01 #4  
The problem with using a genuine filter is that Kohler doesn't make filters. Someone else makes them, and applies the Kohler name, then probably sells them for a couple of bucks apiece to Kohlers Distribution network. If I can buy one Purolator filter for $3.27, you know Kohler isn't going to pay anywhere near that price, when they are ordering hundreds of thousands, or millions annually.

Funny thing is....I have 2 BMW motorcycles that take the same filter. I could use the Kohler 12-050-01-s ($12.00 +), or I can use the one with the BMW paint job ($19.92 + shipping), Or I can go to Wallyworld, and get 3 Purolators (1 for the mower, and 1 for each BMW) for $!0.60 including the 8% sales tax.

I just refuse to pay someone 6 to 10 times more for an item, than it cost them. Especially when it is not a better quality item, just a different color, or has a special logo.

/ Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01 #5  
I just refuse to pay someone 6 to 10 times more for an item, than it cost them. Especially when it is not a better quality item, just a different color, or has a special logo.

Having grown up in the auto parts business, I certainly understand that, and don't blame you a bit. I've bought the genuine Kohler filters simply because I only need one a year and haven't taken the time to cross reference the number. I also realize that the quality of many products change over the years, and some people do want a particular brand. When my Dad owned an auto parts store, we always stocked Purolator, Fram, and AC, as well as some of other brands.

/ Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01 #7  
It is your choice. At least now you know there are alternatives, and you don't have to pay $12 for a filter.

I don't have any affiliation with any filter company, and was just relating my experience with the Purolator Classic Filter. At over 1,100 hours, my mower needs no makeup oil between changes, does not smoke, and runs great.....all on a filter that costs less than 1/3 that of a Kohler, and using a conventional 15w/40 oil. This engine is a long, long, way from being worn out.

There is nothing wrong with Wix, or the NAPA brand, either Silver or Gold, or Carquest (all of which are made by Wix)......so go save a few bucks..... you won't be hurting your engine at all........Happy mowing

/ Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01 #8  
It is your choice. At least now you know there are alternatives, and you don't have to pay $12 for a filter.

I don't have any affiliation with any filter company, and was just relating my experience with the Purolator Classic Filter. At over 1,100 hours, my mower needs no makeup oil between changes, does not smoke, and runs great.....all on a filter that costs less than 1/3 that of a Kohler, and using a conventional 15w/40 oil. This engine is a long, long, way from being worn out.

There is nothing wrong with Wix, or the NAPA brand, either Silver or Gold, or Carquest (all of which are made by Wix)......so go save a few bucks..... you won't be hurting your engine at all........Happy mowing

I will probably try the PSL10241 the next oil change. Can probably buy two for what one Kohler filter has been costing. Thanks for the information.

/ Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01 #9  
I cross reffed my Kohler to a Wix and saved a bunch of $.

/ Kohler Pro Performance Oil Filter #12 050 01 #10  
A couple of weeks ago, I stopped at NAPA and bought 3 - NAPA Silver #31348 filters.....($9.85, total including 8% tax).....Now, my Kohler Command, and both BMW bike engines, are all set for next springs wake up call.