Mowing Which mower type should I buy for my Cub 7264?

/ Which mower type should I buy for my Cub 7264? #1  

JamiDoug

I'm getting ready to purchase a Cub Cadet 7264 with a FEL and mower. My dilemma is which mower to buy for the work I need to do. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll be seeding and finish mowing about 3 acres. The remaining two acres will be pasture grasses, weeds, etc. The pasture is mostly clear of rocks, large sticks, and such.

It kinda goes without saying that I'll need a finish mower for the lawn. Can I get a finish mower that will also mow the taller pasture grasses and still stay in good enough condition to do a nice job with the lawn?

If a finish mower will get the job done, would you recommend a mid-mount or a 3pt finish mower? What about discharge? Side or rear?

If I need to purchase a rough-cut mower in addition to the finish mower, will the 7264 (21HP PTO) handle a 60" or will I need to back down to a 48"?

Thanks everyone! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Doug

/ Which mower type should I buy for my Cub 7264? #2  
<font color="blue"> Can I get a finish mower that will also mow the taller pasture grasses and still stay in good enough condition to do a nice job with the lawn?
</font>

I have tried my MMM to cut the field next door to my house. With the weeds around 12" the cut was worse than my 60" Rotary Cutter.

<font color="blue"> If a finish mower will get the job done, would you recommend a mid-mount or a 3pt finish mower? What about discharge? Side or rear?
</font>

I prefer the MMM. Because it is easier to get close to obects without looking back to see the mower. I have never tried the rear discharge. My 72" MMM is side discharge. I would recommend a 72" for your tractor. That way the mower sticks out the side far enough to get close to items. One fault I have with a MMM is it's hard to get under my many pine trees. I now have a Front Mount mower that I use more than my <font color="orange"> Kubota </font> B2910 to cut lawn.

<font color="blue"> If I need to purchase a rough-cut mower in addition to the finish mower, will the 7264 (21HP PTO) handle a 60" or will I need to back down to a 48"? </font>

If all your going to do is cut a field as you describe a 60" will work. If you are going to do land clearing also a Heavy Duty 48" will be a better choice.

/ Which mower type should I buy for my Cub 7264? #3  
I have a cub 7265 with a 72" Bush Hog RFM with rear discharge. I bought it to mow and maintain 4.5 acres. The first time I mowed it was about 1-2 ft tall. I was actually surprised at how nice the cut was. Did take sometime to get use to the RFM. I used a MMM for many years before that.

/ Which mower type should I buy for my Cub 7264? #4  
So you decided to buy a Cub huh?
Congratulations!! Good luck with it. I would go with the 48" rough cut. You never know what you're going to get into.
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Which mower type should I buy for my Cub 7264? #5  
I would think a 60" finish mower would also cut the pasture grass, a 72" might do it. It really depends on how long it is and what is in there. I would not take a finish mower into the pasture IF there are lots of rocks or branches. You might want to get a RAKE and rake the pasture out, then inspect it to make sure there is nothing in there that will damage a finish mower (woody shrubs, saplings). Clear out anything that will cause damage, and then you are left with just tall grass. You can use a finish mower on that pasture, and after a couple of years of maintaining it, it will look like a decent lawn. You just want to make sure it is reasonably smooth, and it is free of debris.