Buying Advice I'm breaking down and buying new

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #1  

KWRB

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 4610
I have a Cub 2186 that I like (not love). It was my grandfather's, and he is meticulous about maintenance and traded up 4 years ago. It was in good shape when I bought it from him, but it's a little long in the tooth now. I have enough projects going and I am getting tired of all the little fixes. To boot, the only dealer close to me is, frankly, a jerk. I hate buying parts from him because he's just plain rude.To boot, I think the engine bit the dust a few weeks ago. Black smoke and quit, now won't start. I'm mechanically astute, but I don't feel dealing with this machine anymore.

I bought a used 2186 with a valve problem a year ago and it's about back together after new valves and a new head, but that doesn't solve the old deck issues and the whack-a-mole repairs that are sure to come on this unit too. this one (with the original as a cannibal corpse), will be more of a fun project than an essential everyday tool.

I'm going to break down and buy a new machine.

My fiance does the mowing because she's less tolerant of shabby looking lawn than I am. I know I've got it good in this respect, so I'm trying to take good care of her who takes care of our place. We have a few acres we mow with the rider (the rest with my big tractor). I want to go with an overpowered machine and I think I've settled on the Cub XT3 GSE or GSX. I like that they're American designed and manufactured, and though I don't like my local dealer, I think that should be less of a problem with a new machine (should break less). She kind of likes a front mount machine, but those zero-turns are mow-only and they cost a lot more. For the money, I'd like to have some versatility.

If you have experience, what do you all think of these machines? Since I'm buying new, I'm going to cast a very wide net and price them at virtually every dealer in NY, and I'll drive a long ways to pick it up if I have to. I know my local guy will have a price 125% of the next closest dealer, so I'm already committed to not going the local route.

Thanks for any advice,

Kurt

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #2  
Kurt, I moved up from a 2004 3235 to a 2015 XT3 GSX last year. I ordered the 54 inch fabricated deck and the 3-bag grass bagger. I found that the prices appear to be "fixed" (I thought Price-fixing was illegal) as all dealers in my area had the same exact price except for sales such as $400 off on models in stock. Mine didn't because it wasn't in stock when I ordered it. It was about $6500 out the door. It turns MUCH sharper than the old one and has electric power steering vs hydraulic. It seemed a little stiffer but I've gotten used to it. The deck lift is also electric vs hydraulic and is a little slower. My old deck was "ground following" but the new one isn't. Overall I'm impressed with the quality and the cut. The bagger chute is a little harder to hook on the deck but not bad.

Bob B.

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #3  
If you are buying new why buy a Cub at all?

I've had numerous new Cubs and still run 2. There are always issues like crappy loose steering on the tractors and garbage mower deck wheels.

Walk away from Cub Cadet and find a new brand, end of story.

Good luck, Fred

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #4  

I've had numerous new Cubs and still run 2. There are always issues like crappy loose steering on the tractors and garbage mower deck wheels.

Good luck, Fred
There's NO sloppy steering on my 2015 Enduro. It has the tightest steering of any rider I've owned (5). The deck wheels, which are just for anti-scalping (they don't run on the ground) all have grease fittings (at least on the 54 inch fabricated deck).

Bob B.

/ I'm breaking down and buying new

Good luck, Fred

What would you suggest? I won't buy anything not American made, and I want a tractor style rider because for the investment, I want to ability to clear snow and tow a wagon.

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #6  
Try Simplicity. I had a Conquest for 3 years with 0 problems and a great cut. I moved up to a Ventrac for simple and easy attachment changes.

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #7  
The problem, as I see it, is not that 'Cub is crap', but that your local dealer is a jerk (as you say). If you cant get along with him, I wouldnt want to buy something that pretty much makes me keep going back to him. If you like Cub and wanna stay, find another nearby dealer that you can work with.

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #9  
Can't go wrong with a mid sized John Deere. Easy to operate and generally durable. Dealers all over and most parts are American made..
Some of my neighbors have JD's. I always thought that Cub's shaft drive was better than relying on a belt to drive the tractor. Also it seemed like JD charged $400-500 more for the same amount of tractor than Cub Cadet. I felt like you were paying more just for the name. For larger farm machines JD is
definitely one of the best.

Bob B.

/ I'm breaking down and buying new
The problem, as I see it, is not that 'Cub is crap', but that your local dealer is a jerk (as you say). If you cant get along with him, I wouldnt want to buy something that pretty much makes me keep going back to him. If you like Cub and wanna stay, find another nearby dealer that you can work with.

I like the product enough to do just that. I really do. That said, I'm going to check out Simplicity and Deere also, because driving 50 minutes to get to the other dealer is difficult. It's part of the reason I'm fed up with my 2186. It's still a servicable machine, but getting the parts is so bad... Well I have repeated myself enough on that one.