Oil & Fuel Won't Start Or Engine Stops In Use

/ Won't Start Or Engine Stops In Use #1  

Flaken

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2544
After getting a 2006 GT2544 with 200 hours donated to me, I had the fun experience of getting it to work after it had sat in a barn for 3+ years.

Replacing all the fluids and filters, other things, too, I could not get it to run. Cleaned the carb in place as best I could. Using either starter fluid or a spoon of gas directly in the carb, it would turn over, run for a very short time and quit.
What I found was that the fuel stop solenoid on the carb was stuck in the closed position. This solenoid is located in the bottom rear of the carb and held in place with two small phillips head screws, rather difficult to access. The solenoid plunger travels about a quarter inch back when power is applied. Mine was gummed closed and I used very fine (220 grit) sandpaper and carb cleaner to clean the plunger. After putting everything back together, I tried to start it and it ran just fine with no problems.

/ Won't Start Or Engine Stops In Use #2  
Good work! I'm used to seeing the solenoid being threaded in with a 1/4" fine pipe thread. These gumming up is very common. I can usually get a stuck one to free up with just carb cleaner and manually pulling the plunger in and out.

/ Won't Start Or Engine Stops In Use #3  
I've done everything but the solenoid. I was stumped but I have almost the exact situation. Thanks for the post!