Is anyone using a Kohler 24-786-08-S Muffler? If so, please post photo/s and/or info

/ Is anyone using a Kohler 24-786-08-S Muffler? If so, please post photo/s and/or info #1  

Joelk

Tractor
Cub Cadet 3165(for Parts) 3100, 3206, 3240, 3200 with Snowblower, 5252 with FEL and 60" MMM
I just got a 5252E and have read about some of the issues they have.

My muffler was cracked where the head pipe entered the muffler on left side and both it and the other head pipe and been brazed to the muffler by a PO some time in the past.

I re-brazed both head pipes to muffler connections and I added some reinforcements to the mounting brace.

I think(hope) my repair/modification will be stronger than OEM, but OEM was not strong enough, and my modifications may not be either, so I am pre-planning in the event of another failure.,

I have also read of issues with too much heat in the dash area. Mine does not currently seem to have any issues with this, but...

It looks like the 24-786-08-S muffler would substantially reduce the amount of heat in the dash area and that is one of my reason for considering it instead of some other muffler options.

Has anyone mounted a 24-786-08-S on a 5252?

Does it fit without clearance issues.

Does it cause too much heat to starter, hood, etc?

I have 812 FEL will. Will it cause any issues with the FEL?

How quiet is it?

If 24-786-08-S will not fit, can you recommend a different model of muffler? Photos?

Thanks, Joel

/ Is anyone using a Kohler 24-786-08-S Muffler? If so, please post photo/s and/or info #2  
I just got a 5252E and have read about some of the issues they have.

My muffler was cracked where the head pipe entered the muffler on left side and both it and the other head pipe and been brazed to the muffler by a PO some time in the past.

I re-brazed both head pipes to muffler connections and I added some reinforcements to the mounting brace.

I think(hope) my repair/modification will be stronger than OEM, but OEM was not strong enough, and my modifications may not be either, so I am pre-planning in the event of another failure.,

I have also read of issues with too much heat in the dash area. Mine does not currently seem to have any issues with this, but...

It looks like the 24-786-08-S muffler would substantially reduce the amount of heat in the dash area and that is one of my reason for considering it instead of some other muffler options.

Has anyone mounted a 24-786-08-S on a 5252?

Does it fit without clearance issues.

Does it cause too much heat to starter, hood, etc?

I have 812 FEL will. Will it cause any issues with the FEL?

How quiet is it?

If 24-786-08-S will not fit, can you recommend a different model of muffler? Photos?

Thanks, Joel

The mufflers Kohler used used to be sourced from a USA supplier (Nelson) but now they buy from a Chinese maker. The metal is not nearly as resilient and cracking is more common than before. The new mufflers are more brittle and don't seem to tolerate heat as well ( not a good thing for a muffler). That being said, MTD often supplies their own mufflers, not Kohler, in many cases. I don't have a specific part number for a suitable replacement, maybe give the tech line at MTD a call (or Kohler) Even though this question was 7 years old, I thought maybe this could help someone??

Last edited:
   / Is anyone using a Kohler 24-786-08-S Muffler? If so, please post photo/s and/or info #3  
It's only 2 months old. Maybe you looked at the JOIN DATE.
Bob B.