Cub Cadet 1200- air filter

/ Cub Cadet 1200- air filter #1  

Norm

I mow 1.5 to 2 acres with a newly purchased Cub Cadet 1200, 1970's model. By design it looks like air flow to the carb comes from the underside of the tractor thru a tube and is blown into the air cleaner. Problem: after two mowings, the air filter is clogged with grass clippings. Yesterday, the starter was stuck in the "on" position and would not start. After removing the starter, it was found to be clogged with grass clippings. Am I missing a screen or filter on the bottom of teh tractor that prevents grass from flying up to these parts, or is this something I just have to live with?

/ Cub Cadet 1200- air filter #2  
Hey Norm,
Any chance you could post a few pictures?
Curt

/ Cub Cadet 1200- air filter #3  
Hello.
I looked at the exploded parts list for a cub 125 hydrostatic drive tractor with a kohler engine.

There is a part on the engine called, "screen, drive cup grass" listed in the parts list.

Your Cub 1200 is similar to my Cub 1250 (gear vs hydro).

I also have another Cub, a model 147. It too has a grass screen on the engine.

These screens attach to the flywheel which is inside the blower housing.

Im assuming you do not have a screen on your engine, hence all the grass.

There is no other screen on these Cubs. I always use compressed air and blow off all grass clippings from the mower deck. I dont have any grass clipping problems.

And I never get very much grass into the carb area either.

Its possible that you have a nice hole in your deck that is blowing clippings up thru the deck...just a thought (Ive seen rusted decks that blow grass right thru and onto the mower guy's face.

hope this helps.
dwight

/ Cub Cadet 1200- air filter #4  
The angle on the rubber snokle faces up.If it is in the down position your air filter will plug with clippings