Q.G.S. Controller on 7265?

/ Q.G.S. Controller on 7265? #1  

farmer_74

I think that I have ran down my glowplug problem to the Q.G.S. Control box. Does anyone have any info about this controller. Is it a relay? Is it the only control for the glowplugs?

Kevin

/ Q.G.S. Controller on 7265?
O.K.
I have found out a little bit about this control box. The Q.G.S. stands for Quick Glow System. It controls how long the glow plugs stay on. Mine seems to be only staying on for about 1 second( I think 3-4 seconds is normal, right?) When it turns off it makes a popping, clicking noise. The noise is louder and different than a normal relay. Does anyone else hear a click when the glowplug indicator light goes out?(or,any sound at all associated with the glow plugs?)

/ Q.G.S. Controller on 7265? #4  
Mine clicks as well.
It's stays on for about 5 sec.
GrayBeard

Thanks guys,
I fixed it this weekend. Seems that I had a few bad connections.

/ Q.G.S. Controller on 7265? #6  
Glad to hear you fixed it. Smoke is gone? Easy to start? Share your repair with us. On my 7366ss glow plug light still goes crazy. On then off starting or running hot or cold no reason, but still runs great and has never missed a beat.

/ Q.G.S. Controller on 7265? #7  
I am not intimately familiar with this particular glow plug system, but I can offer general information about such systems.

The systems fall in one of two categories; those that use a temperature sensor and those that measure glow plug resistance as an indication of engine temperature.

Basically when the key is turned on, the glow plugs receive voltage and the light goes out once the necessary temperature is reached or the resistance of the glow plug goes down to the necessary amount. Then the glow plug light goes off, but the glow plugs will continue to receive voltage while starting as long as the starter switch is actuated within a specified amount of time, usually about 30 seconds.

ONE WARNING! DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID IN A GLOW PLUG ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You stand a good chance of blowing the thing to kingdom come. If you MUST use starting fluid, make SURE that you have disabled the glow plug system.

Have a great day,
Doc

/ Q.G.S. Controller on 7265? #8  
I saw ur post in the forum, and found that u have fixed it. But anyway if u need any info about Q.G.S system, please give me a shout

The best that I can tell, the glow plugs are activated when the QGS controller monitors the temperature of the engine( this is done by a sensor in the thermostat neck of the coolant system) and determines that the temp. is low enough to warrant the need for glow plugs. If it is cold enough to kick on the glow plugs then the timer takes over, about 3-4 seconds max ON time. If you unplug the coolant sensor then the glow plugs will always come on for the full 3-4 seconds.
I still have a smoke issue. I think I will start another thread to address the smoke.

Kevin