Ballast Suitcase Weights

/ Suitcase Weights #1  

Lt74

Tractor
KUbota BX 1870
I have a cadet 3204 new,(30 hours) and now have a 45" snowblower. I expect I need weights for it. Any suggestions on suitcase v wheel weights, I had wheel weights on my old Ariens and hated them. If I goe with the suitcase weights how many would I need. Where is the best option to purchase them. Are they the same as John Deere. Does any one have a better suggestion. My driveway is about 100' long by three or four car widths and I usually do two neighbors with about the same size. Just south of Boston Mass so usually get a couple or three good storms with a 6 or 7 nuisance thrown in.
Thanks for any advice. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Suitcase Weights #2  
A friend of mine has the same tractor in New Gloucester. He hasa 400' + driveway. He tried just wheel weights the first winter, but found that he needed both wheel weights and suitcase weights. I have wheel weights and 4 suitcase weights on my Deere.
If you don't like wheel weights, try the maximum # of suitcase weights and see how it goes.
Good luck!.

/ Suitcase Weights #3  
Lt74

I just got your PM as well ! I use both on my 3204 it consists of: 2 qty 45 lbs each wheel weights, and suitcase weights 42 lbs qty 4 (notice the Deere suitcase weights along with the Cub, they fit fine!!)

You probably dont need the wheel weights if you have at least 4 suitcase in back. But the best thing with any tractor large or small is to add weight. You got all the best pieces so far, so its now just the small stuff needed. I have no regrets getting them, and the more weight you have the better the performance. I havent gotten stuck yet, and I'm sure its because of the weight and v-bar chains....I usually handle about 15 driveways when it snows...

I know I look goofy in these shots but it was a cold day
but I did have a smile under all that clothing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3204 w/suitcase & wheel weights

3204 w/ deere suitcase weights

Ducati

/ Suitcase Weights #4  
I have a 2518 with both plow and snowblower for a 500+ driveway. What i did instead of suitcase weights is I filled the rear wheels with windsheild washer fluid. It takes about 7-8 gallons apiece if i remember, but I don't have the weights sticking out in the back. The fluid won't rust the rims, plus it helps with no tire spin in damp grass in the summer. I think each gallon weighs about 8 pounds. Just a thought for you. It works for me. I live NY

/ Suitcase Weights #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a 2518 with both plow and snowblower for a 500+ driveway. What i did instead of suitcase weights is I filled the rear wheels with windsheild washer fluid. It takes about 7-8 gallons apiece if i remember, but I don't have the weights sticking out in the back. The fluid won't rust the rims, plus it helps with no tire spin in damp grass in the summer. I think each gallon weighs about 8 pounds. Just a thought for you. It works for me. I live NY )</font>

What you suggest is a great idea in conjunction with another method or combination of weights (wheel/suitcase or both)..
The blower on the 3000 series is heavy plus it has a quick hitch system which weighs alot as well. The blower raised will make the rear end significantly lighter, and you will lose considerable traction....The 3000 series is a heavy machine by itself (800-825 lbs) but the blower sticks far out in front and is heavy, making the rear get lighter...The more weight on the rear, the less spin with chains (which like myself want to keep their driveway in good condition)..

Ducati

/ Suitcase Weights
Thanks for the help. I bought four (4) John Deere Suitcase weights from the local Home Depoit, at $ 35.00 they were a lot lower priced than my Cub Dealer (he wanted 89.00 each.). I like the idea of the windshield washer fluid. What is the easiest way to get it in the tires.

/ Suitcase Weights #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the help. I bought four (4) John Deere Suitcase weights from the local Home Depoit, at $ 35.00 they were a lot lower priced than my Cub Dealer (he wanted 89.00 each.). I like the idea of the windshield washer fluid. What is the easiest way to get it in the tires.
)</font>

I know the Cub dealers sell two suitcase weights for $89
but you got a excellent price from Home depot?
make sure you get the rear weight bracket from Cub for your 3000 series machine. If I was to do liquid ballast over it would be Rim Guard (below) all the way! check into them and see where you can get it....Filling it through your valve stem is one way. Some people fill portable air tanks, then fill up the tire.

Ducati

Rim Guard liquid ballast

/ Suitcase Weights #8  
he wanted 89.00

Are they made out of gold??? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I bought JD ones too for $30-something each. I don't remember exactly now. (You can get some Cub Cadet Federal Yellow and paint them to match...).

/ Suitcase Weights
Yeah, I got a good buy on the original set up but I think he is trying to make his profit now!!

/ Suitcase Weights #10  
The way I filled my wheels was to take the wheel off the tractor, take the guts out of the valve stem to let air out. Then you can break down one side of the wheel ( I stepped on the tire while tapping it with a hammer..easy to do). Fill the wheel with windsheild washer fluid to the top and then replace guts in stem and reinflate with air to seat the bead. Just watch your eyes as when the bead pops fluid flies all over the place. LOL This is the second 2000 sieres tractor I have done this to with no problems. My Cub Cadet dealer told me to do this, or he would do it for a fee.