York TA1 Rake question

/ York TA1 Rake question #1  

JohnNH

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2042 & Yanmar324 Tlb
I am considering buying a York TA1 4 foot rake attachment for my new Cub Cadet 2042.

Does anyone have any experience with the new 2042 or similar 2180 models ability to support this type of tow behind (not 3 pt. hitch) rake.

I plan on using the rake for my long gravel driveway & turn around maintenance as well as lawn expansion = about another 3/4 to 1 acre.

Thanks,
JohnNH

/ York TA1 Rake question #2  
John,

I don't have the Cub you're referring to but I do have that York rake.

Some thoughts:

I wouldn't expect there to be any problem with that tractor being able to pull the rake.

The driveway should be a piece of cake.

Lawn expansion... I'm assuming you'll be using the rake for both finish grading as well as rock removal. The rock removal is the only thing I'm mentally questioning. For efficient removal, you'll have the rake angled and keep pushing into a bigger and bigger windrow for easier collection. Like snow, the faster you're going the better so they slide off to the side. Not sure how fast your tractor is but I would recommend going about as fast as it'll go. (Personally, I use an ATV)

Take a look at the attached picture. Although currently connected to a small aerator it was built specifically for the York rake. The little trailer "thingy" is used between the tractor and the rake. What it does is create a "buffer" area between the pulling machine and the rake for 2 reasons:
1 - Especially when the rake is angled, when you turn it allows for a sharper turning radius since the rake can't reach your tires.
2 - When doing rock removal (lawn expansion), if you catch a rock or something sticking up (but too much for the rake to grab) the rake will jump. If the rake is angled, Murphy's law says the jump will always make the edge closest to your tractor jump forward. Again... rake hits tires or somewhere on the tractor.

Brian

Attachments

• 645818-MVC-715S.JPG
    645818-MVC-715S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,572
   / York TA1 Rake question
BCZoom,

Thanks for the reply.

That's an interesting thingy you made to pull attachements.

I have a 4 wheeler and could probably make a 5th wheel thingy to use behind the CC or 4x4 atv.

I have been looking for a used york rake (trailer type) and can't seem to find one. It's a bit steep for a new one at 600 to 700 dollars.

Again, thank for the info.

JohnNH

/ York TA1 Rake question #4  
John,

Yep, kind of steep but they last forever... I would guess the one I have is probably 15 years old and almost looks like new. All tines are straight and everything works perfectly. They did it right in that the picture on their site is identical to what they made 15 years ago. (pic of mine attached)

Brian

EDIT - PS - The price will pay for itself considering the time and pain of raking out rocks on 3/4 acre by hand.

Attachments

• 646312-MVC-713S.JPG
    646312-MVC-713S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,189