Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors?

/ Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors? #1  

Snatchface

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I am looking to pick up a new tractor and just eyed the Cub 1500 at the local TSC. I went on the web site and it seems that the only difference between the Garden and Lawn versions is that the Gardens have less HP and cost more. Doesn't make sense to me. Anyone have any insight on this? I thought that garden tractors were supposed to be more powerful.

/ Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors? #2  
There are guys who probably could tell you a lot more... but I'll through in my 2 cents. GT's generally have thicker frames, thicker mowing deck, larger tires, better transmissions, etc. Depending on what models you are looking at on the web site... the 2000+ series GTs have shaft driven trannys and even with less HP will put out more work than a belt driven tractor with more HP. HP is really overrated. It doesn't take that much HP to mow grass. The shaft driven GTs with say... 20 HP will work circles around a belt driven 25 HP... IMO! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There are guys who probably could tell you a lot more... but I'll through in my 2 cents. GT's generally have thicker frames, thicker mowing deck, larger tires, better transmissions, etc. Depending on what models you are looking at on the web site... the 2000+ series GTs have shaft driven trannys and even with less HP will put out more work than a belt driven tractor with more HP. HP is really overrated. It doesn't take that much HP to mow grass. The shaft driven GTs with say... 20 HP will work circles around a belt driven 25 HP... IMO! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Well put DmansPadge. Plus, I'll add that they give you the option of using ground engagement implements.

/ Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors? #4  
It all depends on your wants, needs and expectations. The 1000 series are excellent machines for cutting grass, and should give you about 5yrs of service without any issues. It will get a little loose, deck spindles will go bad, pulley bearings may give out, etc... somewhere around the 5+ year mark. The 1000 series are also more difficult to remove & replace the deck. The 2000/2500/3000 are much heavier machines with large greaseable bearings, heavy steering components, heavy transaxles and a deck that can take a beating and is easy on/off. You will typically get 10yrs of residential service before things need replacement (bearings,pullies,etc..). The 1000 series chassis are based off the cookie cutter MTD product line, where the 2000+ use the chassis that's cub based & been around for many years. Oh.. by the way, nice name /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!
G/luck
Joel

/ Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors?
Thanks for the answers all. What do you guys think about CC's attachments? Do they match up with JD or Simplicity?

/ Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors? #6  
I like the snowblower shell & auger construction on the JD's the best. CC snowblower attachments kinda remind me of an MTD walk behind. Push blades, tillers, etc are all about the same construction/quality. Mower decks on the 2000/2500/3000 cubs are very well built, as good as JD & simplicity (IMHO).
G/luck
Joel

/ Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors? #7  
Hi,

Let me give you some perspective on horsepower. I owned a compact utility tractor, that when outfitted to move dirt (front end loader, ballast in the rear tires and ballast box hanging off the three point hitch) weighed in at over 3500 lbs and would push a 5 foot loader bucket into virgin ground. This machine had a whopping 20hp and it was enough.

The reason lawn tractors have higher horsepower and lower price is cost and target market. Someone shopping for a lawn tractor (lawn mower) isn't expected to know a lot about machines, but everyone understands horsepower. So, you increase what is cheaper (horsepower) and leave out the expensive, non-obvious, stuff (better tranny, stronger frame, stronger deck, ability to really use other attachments well), smart product marketing. Someone who is shopping for a garden tractor is expected to know more about what they are looking for (ability to move some dirt around, use some attachments like snow blowers, blades etc). These people understand that you don't need all that much horsepower (the big old 1940s deeres only had about 14 hp), and that heavy frames, good tranny's etc mean the machine can do more work for a longer time without becoming a scrap heap. So for these folks, the companies put in the expensive stuff and leave out what won't sell (Hp). It's all product marketing.

FWIW, I used to own a 2000 series Cub (2165), 46" deck, triple bagger, hydro. Wonderful machine. The deck and bagger were the easiest to put on/get off of all the machines I've owned (that's 6 now, 2 Cubs, a Craftsman, 2 Deeres and now a BCS). Stay away from the 1000 series machines, they are the result of Cub being bought by MTD.

Mike

/ Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors? #8  
Very true about the HP Mike. Our old 1970 JD 110 had a 10hp kohler K series. That sucker would throw snow, mow thick grass, or pull a 21ft boat like their was nothing even their! Those old engines had big heavy flywheels, heavy crankshafts and had the gearing to get the job done. Still like cutting grass better with my CC 2544!! Dunno how I did it this long with out a pedal drive hydro /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif!
G/luck
Joel

/ Difference between CC Lawn and Garden tractors? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dunno how I did it this long with out a pedal drive hydro /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif!
)</font>

Amen to that! Once I tried my first Hydro, I never went back.